Crenicichla Zebrina experiences and possible sexing...

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
Here are mine, they are 6 to 7ish inches (trio) not showing the red yet.
Also some random pic's, hope you don't mind.
Hard to get good pic's without all the larger fish getting in the way,lol.
The arowana is in the same tank as the zebrinas but the atabapo, red terrors, fenestratus and guttalus are in the back tank.
Tried to give the illusion that it's one big tank but your looking at two tanks pushed together. I got the pikes from Oliver Lucanus at "Below Water", he is in Canada but ships internationally, prices have dropped from $600(CAN) to $450(CAN), they are readily avaliable. I'm not sure on the conversion but probably around $350 American dollars.

zebrina pikes 010.JPGzebrina pikes 009.JPGzebrina pikes 008.JPGzebrina pikes 007.JPGzebrina pikes 006.JPG

zebrina pikes 001.JPG

zebrina pikes 003.JPG

zebrina pikes 004.JPG

zebrina pikes 005.JPG

zebrina pikes 006.JPG

zebrina pikes 007.JPG

zebrina pikes 008.JPG

zebrina pikes 009.JPG

zebrina pikes 010.JPG

zebrina pikes 011.JPG

zebrina pikes 012.JPG

zebrina pikes 013.JPG

zebrina pikes 014.JPG

Reactions: Pedram

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I've noticed that most all of the C.zebrina, with the exception of a few, are all offered for sale at a larger size. Like 8-9"+ being the norm. Do they change color dramatically from juveniles to adults? Is this the reason for their relatively large size when offered for sale? Also, what locale/area and rivers/streams are they from? I had to miss out on a 10 day trip to Uruguay early next month, due to a ailing grandfather. There are some pikes native to there that look very similar to C.zebrina , in color as well as overall body shape. Just curious, as mentioned, there is not too much info yet on these beautiful fish. Thanks in advance for any response.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I've noticed that most all of the C.zebrina, with the exception of a few, are all offered for sale at a larger size. Like 8-9"+ being the norm. Do they change color dramatically from juveniles to adults? Is this the reason for their relatively large size when offered for sale? Also, what locale/area and rivers/streams are they from? I had to miss out on a 10 day trip to Uruguay early next month, due to a ailing grandfather. There are some pikes native to there that look very similar to C.zebrina , in color as well as overall body shape. Just curious, as mentioned, there is not too much info yet on these beautiful fish. Thanks in advance for any response.
Yes they change drastically in color here's a link to some 3 inch ones: http://youtu.be/c2BNay6EtjA?a
That's not the reason I think YOYs will still be very pricey even if they're brought in. IMO I think the reason they're brought in as adults is that collectors hardly know where to find adults how do they know where to find yoy?
As I've already stated zebrina are from the Rapids of the Rio Ventuari found alongside intermedia pbass. It's a shame you missed the trip it sounded like a lot of fun. There aren't any pikes in Uruguay that look like zebrina in color or body shape... Zebrina are acusistrosis lugubris pikes they don't have the same body shape or colors as any Uruguayan pikes IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
My apologies my focus and time on here has been sporadic at best, sorry for not paying better attention to the thread.

Now I want some. I like everything about them but the price tag.
If I ever get lucky enough to get a pair and breed them you'll be the first person I'll try and hook up with reasonably priced fry.

I've been sleeping on the Crencichla genus as a whole. I'm so glad I got mine. Some observational notes from the relatively short period of time I've owned mine: he's impossibly curious. The majority of his day is spent navigating my wood work and investigating the room his tank resides. He comes right up to the front whenever someone approaches or walks by. He's carved out a little area underneathe a driftwood overhang and that's where he retreats to and sleeps at night.

Aggression hasn't been an issue in the slightest. He shares a tank with some datnoids and mahseers. The first couple of days were unnerving at the datnoids were quick to investigate and try put him in his place. While he isn't overtly aggressive, he doesn't strike me at the type to back down from a fight. All in all, an incredible fish and I'm glad to have one in my tanks. My guy is only 5" so I can't wait for his adult colors to come in.
So was I for a long time but Crenicichla really are addicting once you get one you start wanting more and more. I saw your juvi and he/she looks great, imo they're one of the most striking pikes even at juvenile sizes.

Here are mine, they are 6 to 7ish inches (trio) not showing the red yet.
Also some random pic's, hope you don't mind.
Hard to get good pic's without all the larger fish getting in the way,lol.
The arowana is in the same tank as the zebrinas but the atabapo, red terrors, fenestratus and guttalus are in the back tank.
Tried to give the illusion that it's one big tank but your looking at two tanks pushed together. I got the pikes from Oliver Lucanus at "Below Water", he is in Canada but ships internationally, prices have dropped from $600(CAN) to $450(CAN), they are readily avaliable. I'm not sure on the conversion but probably around $350 American dollars.
Nice, I really like your set up and am jealous of your stock. They've been popping up around here as well and it looks like they might become readily available for us as well. I've seen them on Aquabid, Bluegrass, Segrest and Jeff Rapps also has them. It's a good thing to as it gives me time to save up some money and buy more of these beauties.

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your question, glad crenicichla444 gave you some good info.

Yes they change drastically in color here's a link to some 3 inch ones: http://youtu.be/c2BNay6EtjA?a
That's not the reason I think YOYs will still be very pricey even if they're brought in. IMO I think the reason they're brought in as adults is that collectors hardly know where to find adults how do they know where to find yoy?
As I've already stated zebrina are from the Rapids of the Rio Ventuari found alongside intermedia pbass. It's a shame you missed the trip it sounded like a lot of fun. There aren't any pikes in Uruguay that look like zebrina in color or body shape... Zebrina are acusistrosis lugubris pikes they don't have the same body shape or colors as any Uruguayan pikes IMO.
[video=youtube_share;c2BNay6EtjA]http://youtu.be/c2BNay6EtjA?a[/video]
Thanks man for all the great info. you've provided especially the juvi video, which I embedded hoping to make it less likely to be missed by someone scanning the thread. The Juvies are stunning imo and I'd love to be able to start with a group of them and raise them up. Hopefully in the near future we'll see juvie Zebrina available more often.

Couple more pics of my girl, gotta catch her and my SKKP when they're flaring; if it's possible her colors are even more vibrant during such displays.
IMG_3075#2.JPG
IMG_3082#2.JPG

IMG_3075#2.JPG

IMG_3082#2.JPG

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
My apologies my focus and time on here has been sporadic at best, sorry for not paying better attention to the thread.

If I ever get lucky enough to get a pair and breed them you'll be the first person I'll try and hook up with reasonably priced fry.

So was I for a long time but Crenicichla really are addicting once you get one you start wanting more and more. I saw your juvi and he/she looks great, imo they're one of the most striking pikes even at juvenile sizes.

Nice, I really like your set up and am jealous of your stock. They've been popping up around here as well and it looks like they might become readily available for us as well. I've seen them on Aquabid, Bluegrass, Segrest and Jeff Rapps also has them. It's a good thing to as it gives me time to save up some money and buy more of these beauties.

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your question, glad crenicichla444 gave you some good info.

Thanks man for all the great info. you've provided especially the juvi video, which I embedded hoping to make it less likely to be missed by someone scanning the thread. The Juvies are stunning imo and I'd love to be able to start with a group of them and raise them up. Hopefully in the near future we'll see juvie Zebrina available more often.

Couple more pics of my girl, gotta catch her and my SKKP when they're flaring; if it's possible her colors are even more vibrant during such displays.
View attachment 1062099
View attachment 1062100
Very nice kolt sorry for not replying to your pm I typed up a huge long one then the app crashed then I retted it several more times and it crashed so I put it off lol. I'll hit you up there's a video Id like you to see were a zebrina is swimming more easily into large amounts of current than large cichla. I'd definitely reccomend you get more and breed them. They're a black water pike and will appreciate a very low ph. Another thing with black water pikes I believe is that low ph helps egg development but that's just a theory I have lol someone in Germany has spawned crenicichla acusistrosis so I wouldn't say spawning zebrina is impossible... You should make it happen kolt ;)

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Very nice kolt sorry for not replying to your pm I typed up a huge long one then the app crashed then I retted it several more times and it crashed so I put it off lol. I'll hit you up there's a video Id like you to see were a zebrina is swimming more easily into large amounts of current than large cichla. I'd definitely reccomend you get more and breed them. They're a black water pike and will appreciate a very low ph. Another thing with black water pikes I believe is that low ph helps egg development but that's just a theory I have lol someone in Germany has spawned crenicichla acusistrosis so I wouldn't say spawning zebrina is impossible... You should make it happen kolt ;)

Thanks man! No worries I actually had to check my pm's to see what you where talking about. I know things happen so I don't take it personally. Excited to see that Zebrina video your talking about though:drool: I'd love to buy a group but I've been real reckless with my cash lately so I can only buy one at a time and since my situation has changed I'm going back to having to save for things again instead of buying on a whim like I've been for the past couple of months. I'm also almost posiitive I've heard about ph helping in egg development I even believe it can affect animals such as pythons and their egg development. Gonna have to see where I heard that stuff so I can give a better account. So I'm with you on believing a low ph could help in egg development. I know low ph makes her colors pop and changes her demeanor. I've got driftwood in her tank that still leaches tannins and when I'm not careful and skip a water change the ph can get pretty low. Low enough to make the other fish appear uncomfortable but the Zebrinas colors will pop and she becomes more confident and aggressive. I'll try to get a pic of her in full display, it's really quite beautiful.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Awesome fish. I hear they are even more mellow than other larger crenicichla. I want a pair too. Getting one would require a several thousand dollar proposition unless you have a lot of luck. They would probably go well with Angels, discus, or festivals in a large planted tank. Drool.

Awesome fish!

These and marms will make me kick myself in 6 months when they go out of season.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Awesome fish. I hear they are even more mellow than other larger crenicichla. I want a pair too. Getting one would require a several thousand dollar proposition unless you have a lot of luck. They would probably go well with Angels, discus, or festivals in a large planted tank. Drool.

Awesome fish!

These and marms will make me kick myself in 6 months when they go out of season.
Well considering the price of zebrina you could get a adult pair for under $1k easily from multiple vendors... They've definetly dropped in price. Hell, someone I know (won't say who unless he wants me to) got one for *gasp $250!* insanely jealous of him but I'll have to be content with my celidos I think haha. Got my paypal on hair trigger just in case one pops up. I'd get a few small marms man they're pretty and don't fight each other when juvies at least mine actually work together to fight off other fish!
Also idk about zebrina being the most peaceful... Someone had one kill one of his Rays. My big 16 inch male xingu 1 did great with Rays but was aggressive as hell to mid level swimmers

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Who has them for 250? I'd be all over that.
Lol not anymore (I'd buy 4 of em if so) keep your eyes and ears peeled and you can get one for a deal. Oliver lucanus said he'd sell me some for $350 a pop at 8+ inches if I got 10 or more or a dozen or more I forgot, so if you're down for a lot maybe we could do something haha jk lmao id probably only want one spawn non black water pikes I'd like one as a show fish but spawning a black water lugubris pike might be too much for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store