critique please

CDM

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's great, and you can try leave a bit more space around the fish.

PixSell

Feeder Fish
Oct 28, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Ya, I'd agree with both of the comments above. Photographing a predominantly light colored fish in a dark (photographically speaking) aquarium is a challenge for even the best light meter and can produce some poor exposures. Good work on that.

A couple of other things you could watch for...
The rear gravel-line looks a little wonky (not sure if it's some weird photoshopping or strange blur). And, the background is rather stark.
The fish's dorsal fin (toward the rear) is in sharper focus than the fish's face (which is normally what you're trying to capture in sharp focus). Try keeping the fish's eye in sharp focus when you're shooting (ya, I know it's easier said than done). There is a bit of motion blur (as alluded to by Fevz) but I think that the soft face is a focus point issue.
And finally; compositionally I find myself distracted by the light toned shape directly under your subject fish. I assume that it is another fish that is swimming in the background. It visually merges your subject fish to the gravel and being a lighter tone than most of your main subject, it draws the viewers eye.

You'd get better technical critiques if you posted an image that was larger (resolution) than 500px.

I hope some of that was helpful.

Chris

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
I am somewhat new to the DSLR world so I may not be of much help with camera settings; however, I do have a little bit of an Art background so I may be able to contribute something: when I work with an image, I find the “negative space” (i.e. the space around the fish) is equally as important as the subject. The negative space can be used to set off your subject and draw your audience's eye where you want it. Try not to crop in too tight to your subject and look to include negative space in your composition. Another term that will aid you in capturing a creatively correct exposure is to compose your image with the “Rule of Thirds” in mind. If you are interested, I can try to dig up some info on the Rule of Thirds.

Beyond that, your fish is beautiful!

Regards,
Russ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store