Cryptocorene crispulata

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My 180g com tank is predominantly full of val. It grows easy for me, under the basic novice care I can afford it.

When I planted it about 2 years ago now I also put in another plant which at first I didn't even know what it was. I just bought a bunch of random plants from my LFS to see which would grow for me, and which wouldn't.

Obviously the easy growing val took off pretty quick, others melted away. I just resigned myself to the fact that val was the plant for me. I loved it too, so I was happy.

However, one other plant, in time, a lot of time, started taking off too. I didn't even know the name of this plant. It looks and grows very much like val but the leaves are crinkly.

It turns out this plant is cryptocorene crispulata. I took a couple of pictures of it during a water change. You can see the thick purple stems coming up from the pot it is in and then the mass of olive green glossy long leaves, some of which are pushing 3ft. The way it sways in the current with the val is beautiful.

Just thought I'd share with you guys in case you come across this plant as a bedraggled young wimpy looking specimen in your LFS and just overlook it.

I bought two more a couple of months ago and put them straight in pots. At first they followed the same path as my original ones, started melting away and looking awful. But now, as you can see, they've picked up and are looking better now.

IMG_20210815_095037_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_095026_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_103616_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of my favorite plants
Crytocorne has almost always melted for me too, when first planted, if I move it, even if I change bulbs.
But the roots always seemed to remain viable.
I had a sump where the entire floor was a mat of roots under only an inch of sand.
1629024648592.png
Although sensitive to those things above.
It could undergo serious water changes that didn't bother it in the least, where I'd take the depth down to 1".
1629024749532.png
I also kept it with Val, and it would do well under substandard lighting
1629024855028.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store