Crystal red shrimp tank mate

baowie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Maryland
I got about a dozen of them. My friend's daughter gave them to me as a gift. But I never kept shrimp before. I wondering what do I feed it and what other fish I can keep with it. It's currently in my 15 gallon but I be moving it to my 40 gallon once my pbass grow out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Diet for Crystal Reds is not unlike other Dwarf Shrimp species, so you can either go the route of specialized shrimp food, or you could give them certain vegetables, such as a piece of blanched spinach for them to eat...

Just make sure the tank temps don't get too warm (over 25'C) as they tend not to fare too well in warmer temps, so keeping them at around 18'C - 23'C would be best... also, be sure to give them things such as some moss or driftwood to crawl around on as they do like to have areas to hide in, and the moss can be a good way to trap small food items if your shrimp decide to breed for you...

I should also add that its a good idea to give your shrimp foods which have calcium in it, so that it can help them with their growth and prevent as many problems when they molt..

sharonluvd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
los angeles, ca
a dozen CRS is a 40 gallon is gonna look empty. Tankmates are very limited.. b/c even smaller schooling fish may not kill the adults but will most likely take out the shrimplets (newborns). A school of otocinclus may work. Also you can go with another variety of shrimp.... and chose a variety that does not interbreed with the CRS. You may be better off in the 15 gallon till you can get a large enough colony to make the 40 look a bit more full.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store