Ctenopoma Acutirostre (leopard bushfish) with Microctenopoma ansorgii (Ornate Ctenopoma)

Benitez83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2014
denmark
Hi again

So I am planning on getting the Leopard Bushfish and stumpled across it's near related cousin: Ornate Ctenopoma and I think it looks pretty awesome.

Does anyone have experience with having them together in the same tank?

My tank is 100 gallon and set up with a lot of plants, driftwood and stones.

My idea of fish in the tank is:

- 2 Leopard Bushfish
- 4 Ornate Ornate Ctenopoma
- 10 Pangio Kuhlii
- 4 African butterfly fish
- a shoal of congo tetra. those have a low priority, but could be nice if you guys think it makes sense.
- a pair of Kribensis. Those have the least priority if they would mess up the balance in the tank

I made a post before about leopard bushfish with a green terror also, and I have decided to rehome that Green terror first and then start the new setup afterwards.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I would *not* put those two species together simply because of the size differences. Also you won’t be able to keep 2 of the leopard bushfish together, I had almost a dozen and they killed each other off until it was only two when an unknown disease killed the two.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I would *not* put those two species together simply because of the size differences. Also you won’t be able to keep 2 of the leopard bushfish together, I had almost a dozen and they killed each other off until it was only two when an unknown disease killed the two.
+1

i’ve got two in a 120g they are not killing each other because they are covering their own arse’s from being taken out by afer -

they are personable - well one is...

GL!

Benitez83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2014
denmark
Sounds like a disaster :\

How big a tank did you keep them in?

I guess I wont be able to keep both Ansorgii and Leopard in the same tank then ;(

I really want to keep more than 1 Leopard in the tank tho. Do you think they killed each others because of lack of hidding spots or just because they cant stand each others?

Benitez83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2014
denmark
+1

i’ve got two in a 120g they are not killing each other because they are covering their own arse’s from being taken out by afer -

they are personable - well one is...

GL!
But they do fight each other a lot or what?

Most tanks with the leopards I've seen on youtube are with 1 single specimen and not a group, so maybe they are more solitary by nature....

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Like I said in your other thread mine is very aggressive especially towards the same species. Mine won't bother other fish that leave him be (unless small enough to eat) but if something else comes looking for a fight he is more then willing to oblige.

Reactions: dr exum

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
But they do fight each other a lot or what?

Most tanks with the leopards I've seen on youtube are with 1 single specimen and not a group, so maybe they are more solitary by nature....
It's a case by case thing, I assume. I kept 2 ctenopoma acutirostre in a 30 gallon tank ages ago. Grew them up together from tiny little guys. They never fought, in fact they paid more attention to the other fish than each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store