Cuban gar and silver arowana

Bluewestback

Feeder Fish
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
Hi! Im new to raising monster fish and i have some doubts to clear. Please help me out ! I have 20cm cuban gar and i would plan to get a silver arowana in the near future ( 8-15cm) but im afraid my gar would act aggresive towards it. Oh! I have a catfish in the tank too. But most of the time it stays at the bottom and my gar seldom bothers it. I once had 3 pacus in the tank and my gar would follow it and would try to eat it. My pacu died the next day due to depression i think! Sorry if i had said anythig wrong. These are just my assumptions. Please help me out!

Aruzar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
I would advise against an arowana unless you have a massive system. These fish can get up to four feet and I have personally owned a silver that measured fifty inches from tip to tip. These fish really don't belong in aquarium trade. If you are dead set on an arowana I suggest an Australian specie as they are a bit more manageable but still require massive systems. Provided you have this I would not risk it. Cuban gars are hard to come by and are slow growers especially when compared to a silver arowana. The arowana would outgrow and out compete the gar for food and when large enough I would not be surprised if it either killed the gar out of curiosity or predatory response.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store