Culled goldfish

onetrickpony

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
DALLAS
Im thinking of breeding some oranda goldfish and need a way to get rid of the culls, wanting to know what or if it would be ok use them for feeders For ... ?

Perferably something I could trade or sell locally
Dont want a monster fish that know one wants.
Thanks

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Biggest question would be at what size will you cull?

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Pretty much any predatory fish that is big enough to eat them at a size you want to sell. Would avoid getting "ancient fish" personally, as I have read many reports that they don't cope well long term with one of the chemicals that are in gold fish.
As for what sells when it gets larger, it depends on where you are, but ime pretty much nothing will sell when it gets large, other then rare/uncommon stuff. (and asian arowana)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Pretty much any predatory fish that is big enough to eat them at a size you want to sell. Would avoid getting "ancient fish" personally, as I have read many reports that they don't cope well long term with one of the chemicals that are in gold fish.
Do you refer to thiaminase?

onetrickpony

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
DALLAS
Most would be under 1/2" to 1"

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
At that size, most predatory fish would do the job. So then tank size considerations would be your biggest limiting factor. If you are looking to trade or sell down the road, stick to colorful and or unusual species. The more aggressive they are, the harder it will be to give away since not everyone will readily have a tank that can suit it, such as wolf fish. Pike cichlids come in all sizes and colors and would be a good bet. As long as the fish are in good condition you shouldn't have trouble getting rid of most species, as long as they are not true monsters like rtc. Even Oscars are fairly easy to give away if they are in good condition with nice colors,but if the fish are cheap and common line Oscars, I wouldn't expect to receive much, if anything, for a trade or sale price

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store