Culling fry

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I’ve been doing a lot of research lately on different hybrid projects, Red Texas in particular, and have read a lot references to culling fry. How do people do this? I understand that each spawn will produce mostly unfavorable fry with hybrid projects, but is the idea to kill the rest? Not judging others, but this is something that would perhaps keep me out of that game. When I have had convict or kribensis fry in the past, I’ve just donated them to the LFS. I don’t see that being as successful with hybrids though.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I’ve been doing a lot of research lately on different hybrid projects, Red Texas in particular, and have read a lot references to culling fry. How do people do this? I understand that each spawn will produce mostly unfavorable fry with hybrid projects, but is the idea to kill the rest? Not judging others, but this is something that would perhaps keep me out of that game. When I have had convict or kribensis fry in the past, I’ve just donated them to the LFS. I don’t see that being as successful with hybrids though.
Well unfortunately if you are breeding fish that most won't turn out like you are wanting no one else is going to want them either. Get a predator fish and feed the culls to it. It's not pleasant for sure but at least it's not a waste. I know it's kind of a topic of some debate hybridization anyway personally I wish people would not try to do this especially if they don't know the outcome. I don't have any specific dislike for hybrids in general. I mostly don't care for the base fish of most of the hybrids people talk about. Ive had my fill of goofy looking glass bangers in my life. I'm not saying some of them are not impressive looking but meh.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Thank you twentyleagues twentyleagues and aussieman57 aussieman57 . At what size will you feed the fry to your predator fish? Also, would they eventually get eaten by the parents if you left them in the same tank?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thank you twentyleagues twentyleagues and aussieman57 aussieman57 . At what size will you feed the fry to your predator fish? Also, would they eventually get eaten by the parents if you left them in the same tank?
Some times the parents will eat them after a while but more then likely they will allow them to stay in the tank until they won't then just kill them.
I'd say whatever size you can tell if it's what you're looking for or not.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
When they are big enough that he can see them. And as 20 leagues stated " Some times the parents will eat them after a while but more then likely they will allow them to stay in the tank until they won't then just kill them."
Most of the fry I raise will be traded or sold. I cull fish with deformities or if there are too many, or with my annual killifish when they get old and burned out and ready to die.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
When they are big enough that he can see them. And as 20 leagues stated " Some times the parents will eat them after a while but more then likely they will allow them to stay in the tank until they won't then just kill them."
Most of the fry I raise will be traded or sold. I cull fish with deformities or if there are too many, or with my annual killifish when they get old and burned out and ready to die.
Thank you!

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i would say at least keep them in a 10 gallon, that way if the others die there are more, or if you want you could give the extra fry away

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Don't try and breed hybrids if you can't cull unwanted fish. It's a very large part of the operation. If you can't complete step 2 then it's foolish to perform step 1.
Totally agree. I’m happy to feed the fish that need to be culled to another fish. I just didn’t feel right about killing them by other means. At least the cycle of life takes place and other fish will benefit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store