Cure or Callimanus worm?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The preferred treatment is levamisole, You can get it in a medicated antiparasite food made by Jungle Labs (sold by BigAls0nline, I think), use the antiparasite tank buddies by jungle at the same time to kill the ones in the water. Also a med called Paracide-D used together with D-Los for those that can't get levamisole (such as in the UK). Treatment takes between 3-10 days and will not effect your biofiltration.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
You could always try sucking them out?

:)

I have no experience with this, but you could try a general parasite killer to at least begin with, if you have trouble tracking down the proper meds.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Camallanus are very hard to treat and my experience is the prognosis is not great. You cant just pull the worms out since they are imbedded in the intestinal tract. If your guppies are replaceable I would just cull them all and sterilise tank and start again. Thats been my experience at least.

There is an excellent link worth reading here which I do agree with - http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Good luck

CAPOREGIME

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Somewhere???
ok, just bought two albino senegals and one of them had this worm. i pulled it out with some tweezers. should i still treat with anti parasite meds? or did i do the trick just by pulling it out?

CAPOREGIME

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Somewhere???
oh ya, forgot to ask. are all my other fish in danger now? its only been one day since ive introduced the bichirs to my tank
thanks guys

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
CAPOREGIME;1124701; said:
ok, just bought two albino senegals and one of them had this worm. i pulled it out with some tweezers. should i still treat with anti parasite meds? or did i do the trick just by pulling it out?
Do not even think of pulling them out of the anus. Camallanus worms are deeply embedded in the intestinal wall and pulling them out simply injures the intestines.

Use levamisole hydrochloride as suggested by above posters. The other treatment suggested is fenbendazole.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
First, the ones you see are just a small portion of the infestation, second you can seldom remove the whole worm and can damage the intestines of your fish by trying to just pull them out. Treat the entire tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store