Custom 150g shallow riparium journal

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks JK

That's a really smart idea with the quick disconnects.
Thank you. I love the flexibility you get with them. No need for hard plumbing most days. I am jealous of that overflow box on your setup. I love it.

Are you planning a background for the tank?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Just a black painted back, no 3D background on this one. I've got a centerpiece that I want to be focus of the tank so I don't want a busy background that might detract from it.
Man with a plan. Got to respect that!

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Epic Driftwood

I specifically designed the slightly unusual dimensions of this tank to showcase an epic driftwood stump that I acquired several years ago. I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw it even though it was too big for any of my tanks, and so I've been carting it around from apartment to apartment across various states waiting to set up a tank for it.

Here's the stump as I was testing out various layouts with it. It measures roughly 50" from one end to the other, about 30" from front to back and stands about 24" high in the current orientation.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
That is a stunning centerpiece... I can see why you would build around it. I would do the same.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I collected a bunch of river rocks from a riverbed in Virginia. They look to be some sort of metamorphic schist that are predominantly greyish brown with some flecks of mica. Quite nice looking IMO.

Here's the driftwood supported on a "tripod" of rocks. I ziptied it down to down the rocks to keep it stable and stop it from floating.

More rocks added

I'm using a simple sand substrate. Tried to find pool filter sand but none of the store near me had any so I ended up going with paver sand. It took a lot of washing to get it clean but in the end it looks quite nice. It's a nice tan color and a mixture of grain sizes. I also mixed in some light brown, dark brown and black sand to get a more natural looking blend.

Let there be light!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Beautiful!

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Tank is filled, first round of planting done and first group of fish are in

I'm having some issues with brown diatoms which is pretty common with new setups and will hopefully go away with time.

Some of the newly added emersed riparium plants are still looking a bit sad so I'll post some more pics of the above water area once they've perked up.

Just planted:

1 week later (a few more plants added):

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store