Cycling Help.......

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You say the tank has been set up 4 weeks?
Nothing enough for a full cycle, and it sometimes takes time to build up measurable nitrates, even with seeded media.
With plants in the tank, at this point they may be using up nitrate as fast as its being produced.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It may not be enough for a full cycle, and it sometimes takes time to build up measurable nitrates, even with seeded media.
With plants in the tank, at this point they may be using up nitrate as fast as its being produced.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I find it highly unlikely. the bigger point is all o readings, nothing on anything.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
With the ammonia and nitrite test kits you are measuring a much lower concentration. The ammonia test maxes out at 8ppm and nitrite at 5ppm. The first detectable bar on the api nitrate chart is 5ppm so lower concentrations are probably present but not easily detectable. With a fresh set up you also won't have much decaying organic material in the tank contributing to the bio load.

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
It may not be enough for a full cycle, and it sometimes takes time to build up measurable nitrates, even with seeded media.
Thank you, finally someone that gives an explanation that makes sense. There are only 5 angle fish and a tiny cory in the tank. My thoughts are the same as yours. No Nitrates for over a week and no measurable ammonia or nitrites. One of the cascades has more than 4 pounds of biohome ultimate and the other about the same in matrix and no chemical filtration.

As, I said earlier, I have had fish tanks for over 30 years and I really appreciate the fact that you did not just assume I don't have a clue, so thank you.

Needless to say the fish are happy and two of the angels are breeding. In the end this tank will house 5 Discus, hence the reason for the extreme filtration measures. At this point I am doing 40% a week water changes and cleaning the max filter III pre-filters weekly and not touching the canisters for another month.

Rob

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store