cycling?

davescube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
indonesia
I have set up a new tank, and added some plant recently..
my test kit shows,
I need a guide to help me finish with the cycling..
currently I have no livestock..

pH= 6.0
NH3= 1.0 - 1.5 ppm
NO2= 0 ppm
NO3 = 10 ppm
GH= 3-4 degree

What should I do next? Do I have to perform waterchange?

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
its been so long since I've cycled a brand new tank without seeding the filters from seasoned tanks....

I'm gonna say you should add a few feeder fish to increase your ammonia level. you should see a spike in ammonia (ammonia will eventually return to 0), then you'll see a spike in nitrites (then nitrite return to 0), then you'll see a spike in nitrates. that's when you know your tank is cycled. only water changes (or a heavily planted, lightly stocked tank) can decrease nitrate levels.

If I'm off on this, please somebody correct me.

Edit: this process should take 3 weeks or more.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
davescube;2063227; said:
What should I do next? Do I have to perform waterchange?
my understanding is, you shouldn't perform any waterchanges until your tank is fully cycled.

again, its been 15 years since I've cycled a brand new tank (and I probably didn't do it properly), so if anyone knows better; please correct me.

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Of course, if the levels get uncomfortable for the fish, some water changing might be in order. After all, you're not likely going to starve the beneficial bacteria if there's not enough in the filter yet anyway. Just keep the levels up at some level the fish can tolerate.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Be patient... only time will cycle your tank. Increase temp increases the metabolism of the bacteria.

Whats your alkalinity? pH seems a little low. If it gets too low, nitrifying bacteria quits working. If your alkalinity is too low, your pH will drop faster.

Might think about using crushed coral as a biological media.. it will bring up that pH and alkalinity, and also release some vital minerals that your nitirfying bacteria will need to consume to finish establishing itself.

jjdsplace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2007
uk
when i did my tank i threw in some carp pellets to raise the amonia and then it went though its stages

davescube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
indonesia
Yeah, I use rather big amount of ADA soil in the tank.. Thats the reason why my pH is quite low..

would like to explain what alkalinity is? Isnt it the same like pH?

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Alkalinity is a chemical state that is measured on the pH scale. Alkalinity is like acid only at the other side of the scale. The normal chemical reactions that take place in a tank may be faster/slower/different depending on this pH. Adding alkaline substances can counteract acid... and vice versa, whereas a balance of the two can be neutral. Hope this helps.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
What kind of filter are you using?

Size of tank and flow rate?

Where is the filter getting it's nutrients from? (ammonia to start with).

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store