Dabola vs endli dabola

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
A Dabola is different from a straight up endlicheri or lap (but it can look very similar), but isn't yet a confirmed species (however us hobbyists can easily pick out differences). However with the different collection sights you see different traits, almost like how you see different traits in different collection points of endlis or laps. Since this isn't yet a confirmed species and oddly enough some dabolas look different than others you get a lot of confusion on what is what. So far I have seen 2 types of dabola (different collection points and also having many different features). One thing I wouldn't be surprised to happen is the dabola variants we call "tikinso" or "faranah" end up being named different all together and possibly even finding more than just those.
tikisso and faranah are the collection points.......that's why the name is attached to "sp. Dabola" or "sp. Dabola type"..... when the first dabolas came to surface, they were just called "sp. dabola". I think these are collection point variants ..... some think they are wild caught hybrids...... either way, real cool bichirs.....

please keep in mind, these are names given by toyin himself --- these do not have scientific names to them as of yet..... so he has to somehow differentiate collection point/characteristics etc......

** faranah is a town in central Guinea near the niger river

** the city of Dabola is 4km from the river Tinkisso

Toyin could have called these DIOLIBA if he wanted...... which probably would have been more fitting as it is the name of a nearby river.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
tikisso and faranah are the collection points.......that's why the name is attached to "sp. Dabola" or "sp. Dabola type"..... when the first dabolas came to surface, they were just called "sp. dabola". I think these are collection point variants ..... some think they are wild caught hybrids...... either way, real cool bichirs.....

please keep in mind, these are names given by toyin himself --- these do not have scientific names to them as of yet..... so he has to somehow differentiate collection point/characteristics etc......

** faranah is a town in central Guinea near the niger river

** the city of Dabola is 4km from the river Tinkisso

Toyin could have called these DIOLIBA if he wanted...... which probably would have been more fitting as it is the name of a nearby river.
I know they're the collection points I'm just saying from what from I've seen from the ones collected from the tinkisso collection point vs. the ones collected at the faranah collection point, I wouldn't be surprised if when more DNA work and such is put into them to try and differentiate them comes back I wouldn't be surprised to see them labeled as a different species from each other all together. As far has toyin himself differentiating them, with dabola not being an official species like you said he has to go off of what he sees, so when he gets in dabola that look completely different from batches earlier he will add a name to describe them (like the polypterus bichir sp. "faranah" full stripes) adding to the confusion. I am not saying toyin is adding confusion I am saying that the lack of an official profile for a dabola is causing confusion towards what can be considered and what cannot be considered a dabola. Once they come up with a profile IMO they will probably notice that the individual specimens from both collection points may not fit that profile so they'll make another possibly establishing the ones collected from the tinkisso collection point a different species than the ones from the faranah collection point. At least this last part it what I'm hoping as you can never has too many types of polypterus

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
From this list, I am not too sure how the 1st and 2nd differ. It is my understanding the 1st one is the "OG" sp dabola,...... 3rd one on the list used to be called "faranah sp dabola type" by him..... and the 4th one was atleast in part the farahna laps he 1st brought in......

When my buddy ordered 2 faranah laps (toyin had just brought them in), he ended up getting a faranah lap (now called sp. faranah broken stripes) and a faranah dabola type (now called sp faranah full stripes).

Makes sense??
Interesting. Is their any reason, to your knowledge, why he might not include "Lapradei" in the title Polypterus Bichir sp. "Faranah" (Broken stripes)? Is it implied, or another means of saying it has since become uncertain?

Sounds like we need a house geneticist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store