Danio choprae out of the pond

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Isn't that a bit - a lot - on the cool side?
I’ve had them outside for at least 5 years and they’ve bred so apparently not for them.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Stunning coloration!

Isn't that a bit - a lot - on the cool side?
My fishroom can go down to 15~17°C in winter and almost all fish show no serious signs or issues besides slowing down and eating less. People don't realize the ranges of temps fish can live in. However, stable is a good idea. I don't heat anything in my room and it's interesting to see when action starts in different species.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Stunning coloration!

My fishroom can go down to 15~17°C in winter and almost all fish show no serious signs or issues besides slowing down and eating less. People don't realize the ranges of temps fish can live in. However, stable is a good idea. I don't heat anything in my room and it's interesting to see when action starts in different species.
Yeah my tanks in the fish room vary from 20-24 throughout the year. Probably extremes would be 17 and 26 for short periods. I reckon it’s better for the fish in the long run. Gives them seasons and times to rest and slowdown. Better than forcing them to breed nonstop all year round

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Stunning coloration!

I accidentally left a pair of kribensis in an unheated tank in my laundry room for 5 weeks and they were fine. Its autumn/winter here in melbourne so has been cold and we even leave the outside door open when the washing machine or drier are on to let out the steam. I didnt measure the temp but it was very cold.
I felt bad but no harm done as far as i can tell, they were very pale but are back to normal now they are in a nice warm tank again.

Reactions: cockroach

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I’ve had them outside for at least 5 years and they’ve bred so apparently not for them.
My daughter just got some of those. Didn’t realize they can handle the cold. What’s the coldest your water temps got during the 5 years you had them?

Morti

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
The natural water temperature range that these fish are found in is 16-24. They like cooler, highly oxygenated water.
I have kept them in the lower 20's c and they thrived. They were also fine when we had a unusually hot summer and the tank water was near 30c for a month or so.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The natural water temperature range that these fish are found in is 16-24. They like cooler, highly oxygenated water.
They come from Burma. They come from much warmer waters than that.

The members posting above have kept them successfully at cooler temperature. That is not 'The natural water temperature range that these fish are found'.

Reactions: cockroach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store