Dat personality

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
NTT - passive and shy. Once they settle in they do get personable. Best gold/yellow colors, but have a reputation for Sudden Death syndrome after hitting 10” plus. I’m currently growing out 2 4” but have had in the past. One died at 8” and others I sold off (6-7”)

AT - American tiger. Silver dat. Have a reputation for not making it pass 10” in size. Perhaps, the debate for them requiring salinity holds true. I’m on my 3rd Silver (9”) and none have made it past 10”.

NGT- is the best brightest one with the yellow and black bumble bee. Always stable but the biggest potential ***. It's the jardini aro of the bunch. Current one is about 13” but sold off others half the size.

IT Indonesian - the most common. The least shy. Solo is the way to go with them to be be stable. They tend to go unstable in a group imo. You may get frustrated if U get one that stays dark (unstable) 50% of the time, or hides. It's a toss up but odds of a more stable one is a solo indo w/cichlid type tankmates. This may your best route.

Overview : Datnoids are a personable fish. Will follow your son from side to side for food. U can hand feed up top. U can hold out of the water for some bodacious photo ops ;-) Target one about 6” and will hit about 12” in a year, but slows way down after that.

Quick Clip of mine. Got all 3 at large sizes In order: 13” yellow indo, 15” brown Indo, 13” New Guinea

Great reply. Son will definitely enjoy reading this thread. Thx sam

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was in a shop earlier today where I spotted a thinbar NTT.The fish was a good six inches and it was priced at three hundred dollars.....My Goodness!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I was in a shop earlier today where I spotted a thinbar NTT.The fish was a good six inches and it was priced at three hundred dollars.....My Goodness!
I was just quoted 350 for an IT at 6inches. No way im paying that. A friend of a friend purchased a crap load of little indo's. Dont want to write anymore.... he hasnt read this yet lol

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Keep in mind that a 18" Dat is a massive fish. It would be close to 5 or 6" thick and almost as deep as long. Probably over 10lbs at maturity or more. I have never gotten a Dat bigger than 16". The difference in overall size from 16-18" is stunning.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Keep in mind that a 18" Dat is a massive fish. It would be close to 5 or 6" thick and almost as deep as long. Probably over 10lbs at maturity or more. I have never gotten a Dat bigger than 16". The difference in overall size from 16-18" is stunning.
So is it fair to assume the majority of dats will reach 16 inches ? Or at least not pass 16 inches. That seems fine in our tank

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Their prices are all over the place now.I'm glad that I have a group of good looking well trained dats that I picked out and bought relatively cheaply years ago.

Ya. Prices are least consistent for all the fishes I’ve owned. Almost as bad as Flagtails. They’re so cheap when small and when they grow. It’s all over the place, lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you for all this info. It’s one thing to read a care sheet but it’s so much more interactive when hearing about the intricacies of the different types from people who have owned multiple types.
I never bother with care sheets half of them are copy paste. For me personal experience is much more helpful.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store