Reactions: Matteus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's for a long term bath in-tank, right Ron?
I would keep it for 7-10 days and then increase the dosage up 3 tbsp for up to a similar time.

I’m not sure about long term. Ive read long term use can cause anemia but not able to prove. If it works then I’d say keep the Epsom salt in the tank for bloat treatment and prevention. Epsom salt won’t mess with other fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Everything that you add to a tank increases TDS, so start small and work your way up. Personally I don't see why one would need to keep a fish in this bath long term (past 10 days) - if so, chances are a more aggressive manner of treatment may be required. Good luck.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
This is very interesting, in my tank there are 2 rays, a few dats and one crenicichla and two cats( tigrinus and rouseauxii). I am not that comfortable in adding salt to this tank.

How much is actually a cup of salt in weight ???

1 cup is 1/2 lb. 2 cup 1 lb.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
None specific for dats. 1 tsbp per 5g. Can slowly increase up 3 tbsp per 5g but would start at the lower end.

You may want to quarantine the bloat and the eye issues this silver is experiencing. Not sure what’s going on but there’s several thick looking shortbody silvers out there on FB and YouTube. Particular in Vietnam. Perhaps them being obese is too easy for them. Lol

Reactions: RD.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
You may want to quarantine the bloat and the eye issues this silver is experiencing. Not sure what’s going on but there’s several thick looking shortbody silvers out there on FB and YouTube. Particular in Vietnam. Perhaps them being obese is too easy for them. Lol
Yes I have already Qt'd the fish.

Polota are very easy to get obese, and they're quite easy to feed as well.

Reactions: RD.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Epsom salt is administered via a bath either short term out-of-tank or long term in-tank. I apologize I was not clear. I meant of course the in-tank treatment. Both methods can be applied as a succession of iterations. I'd not keep Epsom salt or any medicine, even table salt, in my tanks after a problem I was trying to address is corrected or beyond recommended time period.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

Here is an update of the datnoides, which I assumed had bloat, he is going through a serious diet, to reduce his weight now.

The fish had eaten so much that his eyes had gone cloudy, now he is in a separate tank and gets fed three times a week, but controlled quantities

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store