twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I got this datnoid yesterday for my 375 gallon community tank. When I got home and took him out of the styrofoam box his eyes looked like this. He is in a peaceful tank that has good water parameters.

I'm guessing he damaged them in the move? Anyone had ones this bad clear up over time with good nutrition and excellent water?

20210225_111740.jpg

20210225_111621.jpg

20210225_111554.jpg

20210225_111547.jpg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Because it is in both eyes, I would say there is little chance it is a physical injury. Instead, I would guess there are two possibilities:
1) The fish was fine (or better) prior to shipping, and chemical temporary damage may have occurred due to deteriorating water quality during transport (i.e., 'ammonia burn'). If that is the case, then good conditions should improve the situation and it may improve completely over time, and relatively quickly.
2) The fish has been kept in poor conditions over an extended period of time, and the damage is not due to shipping. If so, improved conditions may help and even fix the cloudiness, at least partially but generally not completely.
So my guess is that the only thing to do is to provide the best of water quality possible, and wait it out. Time will tell.
Good luck. Beautiful fish BTW.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed with above,although I can see what could be surface damage in the first photo.

Reactions: tlindsey

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Because it is in both eyes, I would say there is little chance it is a physical injury. Instead, I would guess there are two possibilities:
1) The fish was fine (or better) prior to shipping, and chemical temporary damage may have occurred due to deteriorating water quality during transport (i.e., 'ammonia burn'). If that is the case, then good conditions should improve the situation and it may improve completely over time, and relatively quickly.
2) The fish has been kept in poor conditions over an extended period of time, and the damage is not due to shipping. If so, improved conditions may help and even fix the cloudiness, at least partially but generally not completely.
So my guess is that the only thing to do is to provide the best of water quality possible, and wait it out. Time will tell.
Good luck. Beautiful fish BTW.
Thank you. I will just do regular water changes and over filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store