Datnoid Color.

graham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
portland OR
I was recently at a new fish store and saw a large datnoid. I have never seen one in person before and was quite shocked when I saw that this dat was completly black. There was no yellow/orange on it at all. Do they get like this when older? is this really a datnoid?

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
yes its most likely a datnoid. but just a really stressed out one. dats easily change their colors from gold yellow orange to black depending on their mood. black usually = NO GOOD:(

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
ThisIsTong;666451; said:
yes its most likely a datnoid. but just a really stressed out one. dats easily change their colors from gold yellow orange to black depending on their mood. black usually = NO GOOD:(
That is true.

How ever a black datnoid doesn't always mean "no good".

I have a datnoid that 90% of the time is black however it is definitely one of my most outgoing and active datnoids. From what I can tell it is not stressed or unhappy. It is just the way some datnoids are. You will usually find this with Indonesian datnoids.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I think it would be sweet to have a Black dat.

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
Steve_89;666493; said:
That is true.

How ever a black datnoid doesn't always mean "no good".

I have a datnoid that 90% of the time is black however it is definitely one of my most outgoing and active datnoids. From what I can tell it is not stressed or unhappy. It is just the way some datnoids are. You will usually find this with Indonesian datnoids.
completely agreed. it may be black at the LFS but environment factors that plays a big part. i bought one that was dark once but when i got it home, it was bright golden yellow. This goes in reverse also. You may buy one that is bright yellow but may turn dark once you bring it home.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i would say indo tigers are more likely to turn black than other tigers

thin bars wash out with no stripes

its partly to do wit enviroment i have had tigers that are black so thought i would sell it but after chasing all the tigers around the tank for 1hr it had turned nice and gold and thought i would leave it in the tank but after 2hrs of leaving it alone it was black again

i have even brought a tiger that was jet black in a shop nice and gold all the way home in the bag and at home

some tigers stay nice color all the time no matter what you do to them they are the harder ones to find

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Years ago an old Chinese guy at a lfs use to sell Siamese Tigers (Dats). He would hold small dats between his pointer finger and thumb and gently squeeze them.. l asked why he was “playing “ with them liked that and he told me it makes them not scary.. he had a small bowl with 3 or 4 dats in it and just get one and hold it near it’s head and lightly squeeze, then he get another.. I wanted to buy 2 and he told me to wait a few days so they could settle down. I went two days later and they had good color, bought two and grew them to 8in and they never turned dark.. I was looking at a post from Monster Aquarium and they had some large dats in bowls and were handling them one after the other. I wonder if there’s something to this. I got seven and all had great color when I put them in my tank.. only 3 have good color all the time. If I get the net then they all light up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store