Datnoid Stability questions

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
So I've done my research and bought an NTT Datnoid last week and I know they can be unstable. But yesterday it looked like he was suddenly on his last legs and having some serious swim blatter issues (swimming upside down and to the side, etc.). But today his color came back and he doesn't look like he's having any trouble swimming anymore, just acting normal. All I did was a water change between then. Nothing in the tank is really picking on him(just plecos, Bala sharks, and chocolate cichlids mainly) so I don't think that's the problem. Do they just not like busy tanks? Also if anyone can have any advice getting them to eat. Is it just a waiting game? Right now he doesn't look skinny or have any sort of sunken belly but still... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
Dats are good at swimming sideways. I haven't really seen a dat with a swim bladder issue.

I have 3 NTTs and 2 ITs. The ITs took pellets right away but the NTTs didn't eat until almost a week after, and only took frozen brineshrimp, which I later transitioned to frozen shrimp. I eventually got them to eat pellets but that took a lot of patience (like 6-7 months). Even then, one of them still needs the pellets hidden in frozen shrimp.

One of the toughest fishes to get on pellets.

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Dats are good at swimming sideways. I haven't really seen a dat with a swim bladder issue.

I have 3 NTTs and 2 ITs. The ITs took pellets right away but the NTTs didn't eat until almost a week after, and only took frozen brineshrimp, which I later transitioned to frozen shrimp. I eventually got them to eat pellets but that took a lot of patience (like 6-7 months). Even then, one of them still needs the pellets hidden in frozen shrimp.

One of the toughest fishes to get on pellets.
It really looked bad. Like he was bumping into the walls and kept going to the top. That's why I said it looked like swim bladder issues. I feed brine shrimp once a day but he doesn't seem to go after it. Do they eventually develop a better feeding response? Also he's not that big like 5-6" so what would be best to feed him at that size? Do different types of pellets like carnivore pellets work? I put earthworms in from time to time and he doesn't seem interested in those either.

Reactions: tlindsey

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
Yes, they will feed better. As fish lovers, we want to see them eat to know that they are healthy. How big is it? Did you ask the person you bought it from what it was eating prior?

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
Oh sorry, I thought said he's not 5-6". NTTs that size are really stubborn. Did you watch them eating pellets at the LFS? If it was eating pellets, feed those same kind of pellets. Eventually, it would eat...might take a few weeks, but it would eat. I would stay away from live feeders as they pose a disease/parasite risk. But again, I had success with 2 NTTs (that hadn't eaten after a long transatlantic flight) on frozen brine shrimp after a week. I think the floating around and being in their faces helped. They also had other tankmates "showing them" that it's edible.

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Yeah, I have no intention of feeding feeders. Right now like I said he's with other fish that are voracious feeders so maybe eventually he'll take the hint. Do you know if they'd eat earthworms at all?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store