Dats and Dithers

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
As I understand dithers are usually a cheap, active/schooling fish that make more shy fish such as dats feel more comfortable, correct?

My 11 baby Indos are active, stable little buggers. However, my two larger (8" & 6") Indos hide and are dark unless its feeding time. They are in a 125 bare bottom with two large pieces of drift wood with a couple pieces of java fern growing. Tank mates include an 8" ray, 12" Ornate Bichir, 12" BGK, 4 CLs from 4-6.5", and one 8" CK. I use to have a 12" Cichla Mono and I thought he was punking them out and now that he is gone they still are shy.

Would dithers help here or should I make my tank more natural (not an option till I get rid of the ray). If I go with dithers what kind should I go with? I want them to be of S.E. Asian origin as Im eventually going to make this an all Asian tank.

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
I have the Asian themed tank as well. I used 2 Hampala Barbs. They are from Southeast Asia. They grow quick and get fairly large.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I considered Hampalas but I think they would quickly outgrow my baby dats and would eat them. As far as tinfoils Iwant to stay away from anything too common!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
stay away form common eh.... i was going to say red hooks, but nevermind. I honeslty cant think right now...of a good dither. more dats maybe as dithers;) haha

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
yes Hampalas will eat anything they can fit into there mouths. I was also think tinfoils or silvers but I dont think those fish are from Asian waters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store