Dats and Poly endlicheri safe size to introduce

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I'm likely asking a difficult question but would you think it safe to add an Indo just under 4" to a 180G housing 2x 12" Polypterus endlicheri

My small IT I got at under an inch this July and has grown really well in its 10G growout (eats well on pellets) but I want it out so I can remove the divider to allow the other smaller ones I got later on to grow out more

I know its risky but I won't do it just yet if people feel its a big one. Looking at them the high body of the Indo would I feel make it difficult to swallow and I know Dats are pretty good in the dark compared to other fish

Would appreciate any thoughts

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Well I put him in early this morning and so far he seems to be OK-the Florida Gar tried a few snaps initially but it’s figured out he can’t get it
The larger Thin bar I have was initially aggressive but there’s left hm alone. He has the advantage over the largerThin bar in that he eats pellets so if he carries on growing like he does I’m expecting it to grow bigger

977C7798-061F-4676-83EB-CDF4C035EDAF.jpeg

Reactions: BigShawn and Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Well I put him in early this morning and so far he seems to be OK-the Florida Gar tried a few snaps initially but it’s figured out he can’t get it
The larger Thin bar I have was initially aggressive but there’s left hm alone. He has the advantage over the largerThin bar in that he eats pellets so if he carries on growing like he does I’m expecting it to grow bigger

View attachment 1393828
Yeah. I remember my gars would try to snap a few times. After several minutes, the gars realize the datnoids are just small tankmates and not food so they stop bothering them.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Yeah. I remember my gars would try to snap a few times. After several minutes, the gars realize the datnoids are just small tankmates and not food so they stop bothering them.
As you know there’s no way they would swallow the Indo but I was initially worried it might scratch it up a little bit but it’s left it alone now – I think it was more curious than anything
The damn thing even bites my finger when I’m doing water changes Lol

Reactions: Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store