Dats & Bioload?

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
HI guys,

So Im having an issue with my 75 gallon dat tank; I had crystal clear water up until a month ago and all my parameters were in check. Right around then, I noticed my water started to cloud a bit after a feeding but figured it might be something random. I kept up with my 15% changes and went through my filter media. I still didn't have any change and decided to have my LFS check my water about a week ago - they gave me the heads up that I have excessively high nitrate, but other than that everything seemed in parameter.

They sugggested that I should probably look at reducing my bioload or working into a bigger tank. Unfortunately a new tank is out of the question as this tank itself is only 6 months old - so previously I was giving them quite a bit of massivore 3 times a week. I've scaled back to feeding them twice a week as well as adding in some pothos plant to help work on getting my nitrate down. Ive been running an AC110 and a Sunsun 303b, I plan on adding a pack of purigen in hopes that it will help much like it did with my gf's soft shell turtle tank.

My current stocking is as follows:
3 Indo Dats (4 "-4.5")
3 Bichirs (5")
1 Flagtail (3.5")
1 Syodontis (4.5")

Any advice on getting this under wraps or which of the group might be creating extra biolad that may be uncessary.

Thanks guys!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
15% waterchanges are not going to cut it...didn't see how often? Try 50% per week. If that doesn't lower nitrates then try 50% twice a week. I do 50% a week on my lightly stocked 370 gallon ray tank...2 rays, arowana, datnoid. It's 480 gallons total counting the sump. I change 240 gallons per week plus run a drip system. Roughly 60 gallons per day.

Reactions: MariaS

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks Bigfishnut - I was doing them weekly - my LFS said to bump it to 20% though and it should start coming down within a month, but im impatient lol.

Ive been tinkering with doing 50% weekly until it comes down but I am concerned about it knocking my established bacteria down and putting me back further.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Your bacteria is in your bio media, NOT your water column. You can do 100% daily waterchanges and not lose your bacteria. On grow out tanks for discus fry, I do just that, 100% daily.

Reactions: trunglippo

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I think you're ok for now. They are still small and your dats are slow growers. Do yourself a favor and buy an API freshwater master kit so you can monitor your water yourself. This is an absolute must.

Reactions: Rayshot1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree with everyone above but which kind of filter are you running and,what kind of syno do you have?....just curious.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks Bigfishnut - I was doing them weekly - my LFS said to bump it to 20% though and it should start coming down within a month, but im impatient lol.

Ive been tinkering with doing 50% weekly until it comes down but I am concerned about it knocking my established bacteria down and putting me back further.
You should do 50% weekly even though high nitrates isn't going to be the end of the world. Only way your going to kill off your bacteria during a water change is if it has a lot of chlorine in it and you don't treat the water. Use more bio media to increase bacteria.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
When I had an issue similar to this I was doing 50 percent every other day to lower my nitrates. 50 percent a week will do the job but you can get your nitrates lower slot quicker doing it this way. Then go back to once a week. What was your nitrates ppm? Do you have a test kit of your own?
You should invest in one with your stock. Big fish can have bog problems if you do not know what going on with your water perameters

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Hi guys,

Sorry I've been away for a bit - Im running an AC110 and a Sunsun 303b - I believe the synodontis I have is a Synodontis ocelifer. At least that is what it was sold to me as.

I've been doing the 50% changes weekly since I made the post and it seems to be helping, it was 160ppm previously (im super ashamed of this tbh) and is down right around 40ppm - my tap has about 10ppm when it comes out.

The only thing that is driving me nuts is even after these larger changes I still have the same cloudiness in my water! Im thinking of running my third tray in the Sunsun with more ceramic media as I just put in what the filter came with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store