David R's 2000L tank build

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I've only had one little clown end up in my overflow once. Was walking out the door when I noticed, so left there. Came home and somehow it found its way back in the tank haha

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Haha, lucky break!

I've never had an issue with loaches going over overflows in other tanks, but whenever I've added Tetras to this tank I usually have to fish 1-3 per day out of the sump for the first couple of weeks. It seems like they eventually learn to keep away from it!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
This little guy [the shark] is possibly my favourite fish at the moment! He's had a good growth spurt since being added to the big tank, and filled out and coloured up really nicely. So far he's just cruising around completely ignoring every other fish, long may the relaxed attitude last.

Sharky1.jpg Shark2.jpg

Reactions: J. H. and Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's awesome! He looks cute

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
A little update/feeding video. Picked up a Flagtail a couple of weeks ago, it's colouring up nicely and eating well, can't wait for it to get some size on! Loaches are growing steadily as is the shark. Young uaru and threadfins aren't growing as fast as I thought they might though, might need to change up their diet a little (currently feeding NLS flake and Thera A).

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I hate to be a party pooper but your thread is one of the threads I flagged and plan to used for my guide. Unfortunately you photobucket which has killed the use of photos and all your photos are gone from the thread. Any likelihood of you re-uploading those specific to the actual build?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Haha, I forgot most of the early pics on this thread were on Photobucket. I hadn't visited their site in years, and when I did I was so pissed off at the state of it I deleted every single image I had on there and shut down my account! I do still have all the photos, but they're on my external back-up drive so I'd have to dig it out and upload them again. Is there anything in particular you wanted to see? As usual with this sort of thing, there's a fair bit I'd do differently if I were to do it all again.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I think maybe just some basic tank shots of the build including the frame used, and the final shots before and after you water proofed it. I am also what filteration you used (saw lots of HMF style in a sump) along with how you did the overflows.

What are the biggest things you would do differently now or would change?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
The overflows are two 50m bulkheads in the back of the tank, vertically staggered to work like a Herbie type system (with one pipe carrying most of the water at full siphon and the other just taking the small amount left over). The sump has a settling chamber then four sheets of Poret foam (10ppi, 2x 20ppi, 30ppi) which is mainly for mechanical filtration, then 50L of Pond Matrix and some bioballs for biological. The settling chamber provides a good place for the Pothos to grow, but TBH I wouldn't bother again as the Panaques seemed to stop making a lot of sawdust once they got to about 20-25cm. The Poret has been great for mechanical, the water will never be gin-clear but the fact I can go away for a month without having to worry about it clogging up is a huge plus. Only problem is it wouldn't work if the sump was under the stand as the sheets are 50x50cm so the sump needs to be at least 55cm deep then you need space above to pull them out for cleaning. The Laguna pump has worked flawlessly the whole time.

Next time I'd possibly just use the Poret foam for mechanical and bio, maybe eight sheets total. If I had the option [here in NZ] I'd seriously consider something like a WLim bead filter or Ultima instead of the current set up, all depending on space etc.

I'll get the photos next time I bring the harddrive home.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The tank I am planning is 8ft x 4ft and I am trying to figure if I do herbie, beanimal or ultima. The biggest challenge is my tank has to go up against the wall which means losing internal space if I do beanimal, unless I skip the overflow box which I am not sure I can. Ultima is low on my list due to power consumption, not sure I want to backwash often (will be running a drip), and not having a space for heaters, etc.

For my sump, I am playing with the idea having the entrance chambet of various layers of poret stacked horizontally and then filter floss that i just toss. For bio, I was thinking of a two sheets of poret sandwhiching existing marine pure blocks I have.

Why can't you just cut the poret to smaller pieces? The distributor here has multiple sizes and will cut it for you. I was thinking of building a tower of poret that is say 12in x12in of different ppi. Bottom of the tower would have filter floss that get all the small stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store