Day 11 of my Fishless cycle What's going on with my tank?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Let me check if this is the situation. You started two tanks at or about the same time. One is clear and the other is cloudy. The two tanks have different décor being the main difference. If all this is correct my first thoughts are that the décor is somehow the issue.
My second thought is the drift wood or plastic might be shedding something.
However I do like the already mentioned suggestions better than my own. I would give it a few more days with perhaps the lights off more hours.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
If you still have a problem with cloudy water after your tank is well established; I use an Odyssea 100 surface skimmer that clears algae blooms and surface protein to give tank water a very clear polish.
I don't know that I would use this on a new tank, or even newly established tank as I am unsure of what it does to beneficial bacteria in the water column.
I have a number of aquariums and on rare occasions I use it, I employ it on well established tanks that have sufficient bb in the media and filter.

This is useable in freshwater setups, which is what I have. It does have a strong current, but comes with a spray diffusion bar. It filters surface and below surface and gives a very clear appearance in 30-60 minutes. Then is easily removable for storage or use in another tank. For a small filter and small price it does a big job. Of course this is not meant as a substitute for water changes.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Did you boil the mopani and Malasian driftwood? It could be that the Malaysian DW is releasing organic compounds, and since you don't have live plants to consume the organic compounds, the heterotrophic bacteria has bloomed (white cloud) due to the excess nutrients in the water column.

Just give it time, and the white cloud will die off and go away.

excaliber

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2019
SW Idaho
Both the Mopani and Malaysian driftwood was boiled and then soaked afterwards in buckets for two weeks. The tank is 100% clear right now after a few days with Puregen. It looks great and it's nice to be able to see through it again.

Hopefully the Ammonia will be at zero very soon.

By the way today is day 14.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store