De-clawing Crays: Tank Management or Plain Ole' Torture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
england
this is just wrong ! if your going to do it keep it to yourself !
even farming them for food should be humane, you see the farmed ones with bands on their claws not broken off !
and i note your reason for not finding this the right method for you because of sheer laziness.
if you are gonig to farm them you should apply the time and effort into providing those animals at least semi decent conditons and treatment.
even though an animal is intended for the pot it does not give us the right to treat it like s**t!

sorry but this is my opinion nothing personal i just think any animal deserves a decent life.

Manny Stiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So yeah... I cooked him and ate him tonight.

Not going to lie, he was REALLY tasty... it helps when you feed them well.

The claws were bigger than they would have been without the clippings and I think I learned alot about the species for future use.

My daughter is demanding that we keep a couple crays as pets once we move - and I had already planned that - even at 5 years old, she understood why Daddy had to shut the tank down and why he wasn't going to let good meat go to waste.

The daughter LOVES eating shrimp, lobster and crab and although she didn't want to try a taste of her "pet" she is looking forward to eating plenty of crayfish without names in the future.

You might think I'm a jerk for doing all of this, but I don't care.

so whatever...

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
you nailed it!

whatever.

cymrufem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
Central IL
You disgust me!
Even more so for allowing your child to be exposed to your twisted views and actions.
ANYONE who would first maim, then eat, their pet is deplorable in my book.
Looking for an "ignore" option so I will not be subjected to anymore of your animal cruelty postings.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Manny Stiles;2235693; said:
You might think I'm a jerk for doing all of this, but I don't care.

so whatever...

I personally do not de claw crays if they are alive. It's just cruel to the animal. Many people might not care, but if you have ever suffered a substantial amount of pain, you might start to understand.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Mutiliating a pet is downright cruel in my opinion. We are a community of hobbyists and we must show responsibility in how we care for our pets. If you cannot provide proper care for the pet at all, why buy it in the first place? If you don't like how your pet behaves, give it to someone who can properly care for it better and research again before you buy another. It's as simple as that.

shroom

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Wow, who knew a Crayfish could cause so much controversy... In my books if you eat meat, feed your fish live foods or anything, you really have no place to criticize the guy. People are allowed to have different opinions, but at least read the thread first He didn't do it because he wasn't responsible or didn't know about crayfish I mean I can see how some people might find it a tad... dark to eat your pet but please stop preaching and acting like your "crap" don't stink...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Wow thats creepy. Sounds like we got a redneck in here.

matt123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
england
hmm ! last time i checked this was a fish keping forum not a how to mutilate your animals that you are growing for food forum !
the majority of people that are on here take pride in their fishkeeping etc and this thread has lowered the tone ! its like me saying that i cut my dogs legs off so he is easier to catch when hes plump enough to be cooked !
there are laws against inhumane keeping of animals even if they are meant for slaughter and i dont see why crays should be treated any different !

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store