DEAD COLOMBIAN SHARK CATFISH

castintotheopensea5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
NC
My colombian shark cat just died. He started gettin like a yellowish color and looked like he was shedding. He started sittin straight up against things in the tank. I left for a few hours to come home to a dead catfish...just sitting straight up...dead in the corner.....ANY ideas what might have happened?

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Lets see if I'm close to getting this right... somewhere around 5-6" in size and full freshwater...right?

These guys need to be moved to brackish conditions as they grow... normally in the wild they would be migrating towards saltwater before hitting adult hood

castintotheopensea5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
NC
Yes he was around 5 inches and he was in full freshwater....i figured that what happened might have been that it finally needed to be switched....BUT i have heard of them living fine in freshwater so it confused me...none the less..hes gone unfortunately ;(

SOKO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
NYC
basslover34;2699132; said:
It's really rare to have one that will do well in Full Fresh... but it has happened
Yeh, but you are going to need to start with a very small one. I guess around an inch. You guys probably think what I'm talking about. I'm saying to slowly aclimate them to life in full freshwater.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
you can't slowly acclimate them to freshwater... they are born in freahwater and stay there till they are around 5-6" in size then migrate to brackishwater and eventually on to full marine... once they have gone into full marine you can slowy bring them back to fresh which is part of their breeding cycle

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
sorry for your loss.. it happens too often... i kept mine in Fresh water until they were near 8 inches.. but as soon as i saw the skin issues i knew it was time for brackish water... so i slowly acclimated them and of course over a foot now and thriving.. it is sad they never tell you this...and then you and the fish suffer ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store