Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Dead Fish After Water Change - API products

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Jughead Jones, May 5, 2018.

1. Jughead Jones

Jughead Jones MFK Members

Jesse Jones
      May 8, 2018
      GoGo afternoon, I was hoping I could get some insight on some ongoing complications. I did a large water change resulting in a dead fir eel and algae eater. All my cichlids are super lethargic and stressed except for the one that looked to be in medicated water that i purchased the day of that water change. 3 possible problems: I accidentally triple dosed algaefix which is apparently really dangerous, I sifted the sand but did not see any gases released (maybe I missed it), and I rinsed the sponge filtration and seachem purigen clear but did not touch the biological filtration. Afterwards the water became extremely cloudy. I have since done 2 70% changes. Should I go ahead and dose some mela/pimafix? Will the products work with seachem prime declor? Any thoughts on the causes?

Thanks

2. squint

squint MFK Members

Yesterday at 12:36 PM
      Algaefix is often deadly even at the recommended dosage. Pimafix and Melafix have been known to kill fish but never cure anything. They would just add stress to already stressed fish. Avoid of the -fix products.

tlindsey likes this.
    3. Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7 The Necromancer

Jason m
      Yesterday at 7:48 PM
      Agreed, I never use chemicals to control algae

4. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 9:06 AM
      +1

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf MFK Members

Yesterday at 5:45 PM
      Like above, don't dose anything else, another water change in a day or so might be good though. (Don't dose anything meaning except your dechlorinator)

Deadliestviper7 and tlindsey like this.
    6. Jughead Jones

Jesse Jones
      May 8, 2018
      Thanks for the insight, noted.

7. TigerBarbs.com

TigerBarbs.com MFK Members

Michael
      Yesterday at 3:40 PM
      I like to use the Algae killer on tanks that have been overrun with the algae. It works great when I double - triple the dosage and sometimes throw the whole bottle in it. BUT NEVER with fish or anything living in it. After the treatment, I rinse and start fresh. Algae is gone and doesn't return quickly. My guess of all the items listed is the Algaefix hurt your fish.

8. Jughead Jones

Jesse Jones
      May 8, 2018
      Guess I could post this on lessons learned another time, but yes, 4 water 70% water changes put everything back to normal. Whatever it was (probably algaefix poisoning tbh) is finally gone. A Cichlid, a fire eel, and an algae eater later. The scaleless guys were extremely susceptible to this.