Dead Fry..Please Help

d3ssen27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mauritius
Dear All,
i am having a bis issue with a batch from my Flowerhorn x Blood Parrot pair.
every day there are dead fry.
i have been making water changes like 20% every day or every 2 days but still i keep losing some fry still.
i have also reduced the amount of food given ( hikari first bites)

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Prob the issue I had when I had my Texas fry... some fry just dont seem to take to the first bites... baby brine is the way to go to make sure they are eating... also the first bites seem to really cloud up and make the water nasty... can you see them eating the food? Are they growing? Are they active and swimming everywhere or are they just laying on the bottom most of the time?

d3ssen27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mauritius
Prob the issue I had when I had my Texas fry... some fry just dont seem to take to the first bites... baby brine is the way to go to make sure they are eating... also the first bites seem to really cloud up and make the water nasty... can you see them eating the food? Are they growing? Are they active and swimming everywhere or are they just laying on the bottom most of the time?
They are very active and swimming everywhere...when i put the first bites i see them eating but still i dont understand what is happening

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
The tank is approx 30 gallons and the fry re are around 3 weeks old
Hello; I don't feel sad, cause two out of three aint bad.

My experience raising a number of batches of fry of different species is there can be a loss of 50% or more from the initial hatching over the first few months. Depends some on the species. For kribensis offspring the loss is less because I guess the parents almost always give good care. For egg scatteriers such a zebra dainos the % seemed to be higher.
I guess it is the nature of sexual reproduction to some degree. Some fry may not be a viable from the get go. We may have breeding stock that are siblings or from closely stock.
Flowerhorn x Blood Parrot pair.
Hello; clearly these two fish are closely related enough to produce viable offspring but likely are also the results of selective breeding themselves. I have not kept these fish so may be off base about that. The parents may have already been thru several generations of sibling to sibling or cousin to cousin breeding. Just a guess.

A few years ago I had a mated pair of common angels. They produced a few broods before the female beat up the male so bad that he died from his wounds. I estimate that I raised about half the offspring to half dollar size at which point I was able to get a couple of area shops to take them. I kept the runts and those with deformed dorsal fins. The other day I noticed these fish that would have been culls where I a pro breeder had laid eggs. I am not too keen on this as they are siblings with clear phenotype issues. They ate the eggs but will lay again. I have a decision to make.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store