Dead Tree Back To Life

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Pulled this dead manzanita right out of the ground and an idea came to mind.
image.jpeg

Cubed 60 gallon...24" X 24" with organic planting mix, dolomite powder, muriate of potash, red clay, osmocote and capped with pool filter sand.
image.jpeg

Trimmed wood to size and soaked for a week.
image.jpeg

Wrapped tree branches with Java moss and anubias petite on trunk base with dwarf sagittaria ground cover.
image.jpeg

Six weeks from finding the dead manzanita tree, it's slowly coming back to life...no co2.
image.jpeg

I made it so the tree can be removed for easy maintenance.
image.jpeg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I forget the species of tree they came from but seem to recall fence posts sprouting out a long time ago.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Hello; I forget the species of tree they came from but seem to recall fence posts sprouting out a long time ago.
Interesting...I know I had a heck of a time removing an old olive tree in my front yard. The thing was cut and stump grinded down completely, yet it continued to sprout new growth.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
DEFB7507-30C6-4A35-A5E8-3E42F9D401CA.jpeg

Quick update...filling in nicely. Added Amazon frogbits and dwarf water lettuce on surface for shade and to help absorb nutrients since I have lights on for 10+ hours sometimes. Strong lighting really helps moss grow out thick. To contain the floating plants within the given corners, I used suction cups and fishing line...helps floaters stay out of filtration...shown in pic. The line is kept at the water line or just below it. Floaters are fast growers so they’ll fill in quickly.

Reactions: Dee eng

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats some nice work, although from a completely personal standpoint, would probably look really hot if it was done with something like Flame Moss or another type of moss that had more tree leaf look to it..,

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats some nice work, although from a completely personal standpoint, would probably look really hot if it was done with something like Flame Moss or another type of moss that had more tree leaf look to it..,
Sorry i meant Phoenix Moss not flame moss confusing chinese names with english ones...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store