Deadeye’s Amazon Puffer Thread

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Over 2 weeks later and I’m happy to say that everything left is doing perfect!

Now I just have to figure out why my Anubias hates me…

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s been officially one year since I’ve gotten the 3 puffers - they grow incredibly slow but at least they aren’t dwarf puffer size anymore. They have been extremely good and easy to care for, and even though I lost one due to my negligence the other two are doing amazing!

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
It’s been officially one year since I’ve gotten the 3 puffers - they grow incredibly slow but at least they aren’t dwarf puffer size anymore. They have been extremely good and easy to care for, and even though I lost one due to my negligence the other two are doing amazing!
whatis this? no pic of the puffers and the tank?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
whatis this? no pic of the puffers and the tank?
I know…I know… I’m not home right now but once I get back I’ll get some.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Don't you think you should get more puffers? They may not be doing well as a pair since they are schooling.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Don't you think you should get more puffers? They may not be doing well as a pair since they are schooling.
I’ve thought about it. Since the one died the other 2 never showed any different behavior, so I decided that I wouldn’t get any more unless I noticed something off. Though if I see one in person that may change things…

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Maybe you don't see any different behavior because there weren't enough to begin with? You had 3 before, and a minimum of 5-6 is needed.

Not trying to be disrespect by the way.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Tank size also comes into play - I wouldn’t think of putting more than 3 in less than a 4 foot tank seeings how messy puffers can be.
I get your point completely though. What I gather though is that the puffers are calmly moving about the tank like what you would get out of any “normal” puffer. Usually amazons are associated with nervous glass surfing - which is typically a sign of stress.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As for other updates, the Val is growing well, I had to relocate the dying Anubias to save it, and I still can’t grow Amazon sword lol. I stopped dosing flourish + excel and started running carbon, which didn’t affect the plants but seems to be good for hair algae. Baby molly is continuing to pack on size. And the pleco is getting really big - still only about 3 inches but considering how rarely I see it it always surprises me. Starting to show bristles so I guess it’s a male (didn’t know it took this long for that to show up).
Once I can get a fw qt running I’ll pick up some more tetras and mollies and that should do it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store