Death-Leap reduction strategies.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Greetings lads & lasses of the MFK,
and a thousand pardons for my lengthy absence.

I've been asked to refit a villa-pond, and I'm thinking to remove the front wall and replace with glass, plus maybe a general 18" tall glass "lift" around the whole thing.

Currently in koi and sword-tails with a few common pleco tucked-away in the stones. Otherwise an oval ~10' across & ~14" deep currently fed by a long raceway waterfall.

Issue: I find koi to be pedestrian, crass even. However, SA arawana are sleek & fluid and appropriate... 'cept that they insist on leaping out and fertilizing the garden. Thoughts? Can't do a cover or a netting or extending glass more than a few inches above the surface, though could possibly get away with a some manner of glass "sneeze-guard" either above, at or just under the surface. Could also do a timber rim atop the glass lift, but it'd need to be angled so that people don't try to sit on it.
Do lily pads help at all?

Further thoughts on stocking are also welcome. Plecos are leaving, so stock suggestions to be snail-friendly. No clown loaches, for example, as much as it breaks my heart...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store