Debate

Can you mix africans and americans in the same tank?

• Total voters

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
Aight, listen up, yo.....now before you startin hatin' check it out, aight...there should be no probs....they will deal with it...but check this...if you are runnin a tight setup that is locked down...and have say Tanganyika's then no. they are finicky and weak. i wouldnt mix...but if you have some haps and want to do it I say go for it. theyre both mostly carnivorous by nature and can both throw down oldskool when it comes to bouts....

but check this...if you have mbuna and want to mix in some JD's or firemouths or GT's or whatever then go for it. you'll be aight... but remember not only are PH usually higher for Malawi's @ around8.4 8.6 their intestinal tracts and digestive systems cant handle high protein diets that SA's crave. They get bloat real easy, dogg. As far as the water goes, most LFS sell fish that are all on the same filtration and its kept neutral because theres so many different species they hold....just use tap water that comes out and they will adjust. dont try and manage ph. you will cause more damage trying to keep it in check at a certain level because it may fluctuate from your own doings.... its easier to keep it tap,yo.

So check it....you'll get away with it. but you risk decreasing their life span. I think the nutrition and feeding habits are where the most probs are gonna cause you.....and just cause their happy, dont mean what your doing by housing them is right. mbuna are mainly omnivorous grazers and like brine shrimp as maybe 10-16 percent of their diet and should mostly be all the protein they get...the rest should be from plankton, krill, lettuces and maybe spirulina flake.....or spirulina enriched food.....also pellets are tight somemtes too...

just keep it real, and your fish will be locked down...know what I'm sayin' dogg....

peace

allvol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
memphis
i would say yes how many africans and sa/ca are actually breed over here in the same water conditions. i have had a yellow lab with my americans for 2 yrs no problems.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
:22_yikes: I can't understand anything you just said.....LOL I agree that if you have a "tight" setup you will be ok.

I have all kinds of cichlids together but the key is water quality and tank size. I have 3 red devils (11", 6",7") 1 green sevrum (7") 2 bumble bees (6") 1 chocholate cichlid (7") a gobie (10") gold chinese algee eater (6") 2 polypomus (9") 4 pecocks (6") 4 Zebras (6") 2 comon plecos (10",18") 2 clawed frogs (4",6") 1 comp. (7") 1 Yellow lab (5") 1 electric blue alie and 4 or 5 others in a 265 gal tank and have no problems so it can be done.

The tank has one alpha fish ( blue zebra ) and 3 under alphas so the tank is kind of 3 zones . all fish can swim anywhere in the tank but depending on where the are will depend on who is bossy.

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
Thanks doggs.....its true they can be chill in the same crib...in fact some homies actually use mbuna as dither/target fish in there sa/ca tanks.....mbuna are very fast swimmers and will swim circles around lethargic SA's...mbuna are fierce, especially in packs...they will throw down with the best...seiously, yo, I would say mbuna are like gang members...and it has nothing to do with them bein' african...thats just a coincidence...

peace

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
DeLgAdO said:
lol, rhoms a homie
It's a way of lyfe, dogg. If you aint fast, you betta be furious....know what I'm sayin', D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store