Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I don't wanna be a turkey but I always thought light intensity controlled stretch/height of plants co2 more speed and nutrien absorbtion... Just trying to un muddle my brain

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I don't wanna be a turkey but I always thought light intensity controlled stretch/height of plants co2 more speed and nutrien absorbtion... Just trying to un muddle my brain
Not being a turkey at all. Yes, light intensity does control how tall/short a plant can grow. However, under high lighting, a plant requires a much steadier/higher supply of nutrients. In order for the plant to utilize these nutrients, it needs a readily available source of carbon in order to photosynthesize. That said, a plant like like S. Repens will grow much more lush/bushy when given high lights and Co2. The same plant will grow thin, narrow and taller under low lights. Based on Tom Barr's clinical/personal research and decades of experience, he points out that the order of importance in a planted tank is as follows: Lighting-Co2-Ferts. While light may dictate how tall (or short) a plant will grow, Co2 will dictate its health an growth.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I've followed this thread for a while. While I completely agree that Co2 is not required in most set ups, I also think it's ridiculous to label it as a "marketing scheme". Most hobbyists don't need Co2, because they choose not to run the lighting that requires it. Most of us who run "high tech", simply cannot deny that Co2 is almost always the limiting factor in growth. It's relatively easy to dial in lighting and ferts, however it's much more complex when dealing with Co2. This is why many people in the planted tank hobby give up early. They set up a planted tank with high lighting, dose ferts and quickly turn their tanks in to algae farms. Once Co2 is correctly balanced/injected, plant health, vitality, color and growth explodes beyond compare.

I too, have kept both high tech and low tech planted tanks. I can say that without comparison, Co2 makes a world of difference. After taking a break from planted tanks, I recently set up the 20G pictured below. The tank hasn't even been running for 3 months. However, Co2 has allowed me to create this in a very short time. In addition, I'm able to grow plants that usually fail to thrive in non-Co2 set ups. Take a look at the most beautiful planted tanks on the Internet, you'll find that 99% of them all inject Co2. That said, I think it's pretty damn obvious that it has monumental benefits in regards to aquatic plants.
View attachment 1160754 View attachment 1160755
this tank gets better and better.

What's your take on liquid carbon?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy, just to share these pics here as well, this tank is the 220 from the first posts on this thread. It runs on iron ferts, power compacts, and canister filters with long service intervals.
No CO2.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
this tank gets better and better.

What's your take on liquid carbon?
Liquid Carbon (Glud) is a nice tool to help manage algae, as well as provide additional organic carbon for your plants. However, it's only about 30% as effective as true Co2. I use it daily in my planted tank to help mange any additional algae (there isn't much). The combination of pressurized co2 and Excell is like steroids for your plants. I'm trimming 2-3" daily in my 20G long. Below is an updated pic from this morning.
image.jpeg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Two thoughts:
- I personally prefer Otocinclus, Garra or Apple snails to control algae. I'd never use algizidal supplements on a daily basis just for prophylaxis.
- I wouldn't want my plants to grow "on steroids". That level of growth can't be healthy and doesn't resemble nature. Besides, it's too much work to trim. Yes, I'm lazy ;)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Nice tank, though.
I see a solo Serpae tetra, or Red Rio, hard to tell for me. Anything else swimming in there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store