Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

mgamer20o0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
so cali
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Ever tried growing Ludwigia species under low light and no gas?? What about HC...Riccia? ...the list is endless.
yes i have done both ludwigai and riccia under low light with out co2. now there are some ludwigai species that just wont handle it but you left the statement open.

HrHagel i wouldnt call it a fashion statement more of a lack of knowledge. its one of the reasons i tell people to start off with low light set up get the basics down then go forward. so many people jump straight in with too much light with out the basic understanding. it takes time and some people just dont want to take the time to learn. they think co2 will fix all problems where it can help but its not the end all solution.

ridehardorgohome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle WA
My 46 gallon fertilized only by flourish excel twice a week,Sorry for crappy pics, What do you think???

ridehardorgohome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle WA
46 gallon planted bowfront, fertilized only by flourish excel twice a week,sorry for crappy pics, Let me know what you think????

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215962&page=4
my planted tank. was running with no CO2. unfortunatly i was very busy and unable to keep it trimmed and it over grew. tank has been disassembled. it was at least 2 times that many plants(cuts from the ludwigia and java moss, and spiral grass) when it over grew. hope to get it back up sometime soon

barbarossa4122

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2009
nyc
I have 2 planted tanks, no co2. I use root tabs, Flourish Iron and Flourish. My lights..........108w t5 ho + 30w t8 on the 55g, 78w t5 ho on the 30g. My plants are healthy and growing, some faster some slower but growing. My goldies pick on the plants sometimes but not enough to destroy them. Oh, lights are on 10 to 12 hrs.

S&KGray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Garden Island
Very interesting read :)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Potts050;3747340; said:
any harm using a CO 2 injector to eliminate it is the limiting nutrient?
No harm to the tank if you keep CO2 levels within the safe range. It might trigger thread algae. The only potential harm is to your wallet and time invested. I'd try other possible limiting factors first, it's cheaper and easier to get good lights and ferts and try different plant species. :thumbsup:

HarleyK

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
ghengis;3653713; said:
I just discovered this Thread (yeah, I know, it's been a while since my last visit...)

Stupidest thread in history. I cannot believe what I just read in the OP... Sure, fine, one can have a planted tank w.out CO2...just concentrate on growing Anubia, J. Fern, J. Moss, Swords and Crypts. Easy. How does that make the use of CO2 a myth?? I have kept planted tanks for a couple years now, with varying success...I can honestly say that I have not had more success, with more of a variety of plants and less algal issues, than I have since turning to CO2.

Ever tried growing Ludwigia species under low light and no gas?? What about HC...Riccia? ...the list is endless.

Here's an idea, why don't we all turn our CO2 systems off and just grow Anubia...that should make for an interesting and diverse hobby, shouldn't it?? I would like to direct attention to the pic of the 220 gal on page one...nutrient/CO2 defficiency, much?? Everything is YELLOW!

CO2 might not be the be all and end all of planted tanks, one can have a lovely looking setup without it, but to call it a marketing myth is just preposterous.
another closed minded person with respects to planted tanks and CO2. im fully aware of the fact that some plants need injected CO2 to grow and CO2 does help boost growth.

while calling CO2 a myth and marketing ploy might be excessive. i think the main point here is that with correct lighting, fertilization, and water parameters, many plants can be grow successfully without CO2 injection. and i think a lot of people would like to do this, unfortunately not many people give good advice on how do do this without suggesting CO2.

id like to see all the plant species that people have grown without CO2 injection, so that we can show that its not just anubias, crpyts, swords and java fern. also id suggest anyone to recommend what lighting they've had work the best.

ill start out with ive had the best success with hagen's life-glo bulb.

plants: ill start the the obvious
anubias
crypts
swords
javafern

cabomba - grows like wild fire
water spite
water wisteria
duck weed
nymphaea pubescens - grows like wildfire as well. just moved mine the other day and the root system was massive, shoots up new lily pads every 2 days.
banana plant

i will say i did not have success with blyxa japonica or HC, both before i was using excel. i might try blyxa japonica again tho now.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Let's keep it civil and respect each other's approach.

Here are the tanks I pictured in post #1:
Plants, lighting, and ferts by tank:

• 10 gal
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Eleocharis acicularis
    Suesswassertang
    Anubias nana
    Anubias barteri
    Java moss
    Elodea sp.

2x Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent Bubls 20 Watts ea.
    Tetra PlantaMin
    substrate: unwashed playsand
  • 15 gal
    Cryptocoryne wendtii
    Vallisneria spiralis
    Anubias nana
    1x Dennerle Amazon Day 18 Watt regular fluorescent bulb
    no ferts
    substrate: washed gravel
  • 40 gal
    Echinodorus ozelot
    Eleocharis acicularis
    Cryptocoryne wendtii
    Cryptocoryne lucens
    Java fern Windelov
    Ceratopteris thalictroides
    Anubias sp.
    1x Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 96 Watts
    Kent Iron & Manganese
    Sera Floredepot + 3M Colorquartz
  • 75 gal
    Java fern (normal + Windelov)
    Suesswassertang
    Anubias nana
    1x Sera Plant Color 36 Watt regular fluorescent bulb
  • 220 gal
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Ceratopteris thalictroides
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii and C. crispatula
    Echinodorus rubin and E. ozelot
    several bulbs of Crinum natans
    Anubias barteri
    4x Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 96 Watts ea.
    Kent Iron & Manganese
    Sera Floredepot + 3M Colorquartz
That's it. I hope I got it all. Any further questions, just ask :)

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store