Deciding on what to go with

helmsracing

Feeder Fish
Apr 5, 2015
Missouri
Recently bought a new house and the wife wanted a pond. Well turns out homeowners association doesn't allow ponds so I said screw it we will make one inside lol. I want the pond to be fairly big which makes me want to stray from plywood but at the same time I'm not sure if I want to do cinder block main reason is the concrete part if we ever decide to sell the house. I guess I'm just trying to find some pros and cons to each. Haven't decided what I will put in it I already have a big tank with arowana, shovel nose cat and a clown knife maybe convert them over and get a few other species. Was wanting to do at least 800 gallons.

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
Recently bought a new house and the wife wanted a pond. Well turns out homeowners association doesn't allow ponds so I said screw it we will make one inside lol. I want the pond to be fairly big which makes me want to stray from plywood but at the same time I'm not sure if I want to do cinder block main reason is the concrete part if we ever decide to sell the house. I guess I'm just trying to find some pros and cons to each. Haven't decided what I will put in it I already have a big tank with arowana, shovel nose cat and a clown knife maybe convert them over and get a few other species. Was wanting to do at least 800 gallons.
Why not plywood? You can build a 2x4 or 2x6 frame with the studs being 8 to 10" on center (you could go further apart but in order to sleep at night I would space them closer together) and bolt each piece together with lag bolts. Skin the inside with plywood and add some insulation foam. If you ever move, it's as simple as draining the tank, taking the liner out, unscrew the plywood sheets, and unbolt the pieces. If you really want to make it look good, skin the outside with plywood and paint it.

For a viewing window I'll refer you to this picture from a koi forum, basically it's 1/2" plexiglass, drilled with 3/16" holes every 2", and then stainless screws screwed into it to hold it in place with silicone as the gasket. I'm going to be eventually going this route when I get finished renovating my basement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store