Decisions Decisions Decisions.....need you to vote

Dovii or Aimara?

• Total voters

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
I've become the guy that I didn't understand 25 years ago when I first started the hobby. The guy with a large tank with one solo fish lol. Over the years I've kept just about any and everything freshwater with at one point 15 tanks running. Still love the hobby but not as passionate as I once was so I got rid of just about everything and decided to just keep my 300 and one fish. I have a 18-20" Dovii that's I believe is the reincarnation of Freddy Krueger, he's killed everything lol. I also have a glass banging 10" Aimara in a growout 75 gallon that I know I have to move to a bigger home sooner than later. I'm just at a crossroad on which one to pick to keep in the 300. I'm going to set up a poll below, first fish to get 60 votes is the one I'll keep.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Hope I did the poll correctly, first time setting one up on mfk. Also feel free to post on your thoughts.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think you should go with the Dovii, Here's why:

1. They have a bit more color than an Aimara

2. They don't just sit around and do nothing (all the aimara's ive seen are pretty chill)

3. I think you would have a lot more fun with the Dovii.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Also pls post pics! I would love to see the Dovii and the Aimara.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Having never owned either, I can’t really give a personal answer other than which fish I’d want to devote a tank to more.
How much do you like either fish? If you aren’t liking the dovii as much, then the aimara is more than due for an upgrade.
Have you attempted pairing the dovii? You may get some more enjoyment
I know my red wolf is one of my best wet pets, I’ve seen similar on aimara, so I don’t think you’d be disappointed giving it the larger home. It may become a bit of a pain when your fingers are on the menu though.
I love my cichlids too, but I’m a sucker for characins…

All of that said, I think if I were to have only one tank I’d honestly go with neither. As fun as some wet pets are, just one fish in the tank can get rather boring if it’s all that you have.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
All of that said, I think if I were to have only one tank I’d honestly go with neither. As fun as some wet pets are, just one fish in the tank can get rather boring if it’s all that you have.
I honestly agree with this ^^

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I've become the guy that I didn't understand 25 years ago when I first started the hobby. The guy with a large tank with one solo fish lol. Over the years I've kept just about any and everything freshwater with at one point 15 tanks running. Still love the hobby but not as passionate as I once was so I got rid of just about everything and decided to just keep my 300 and one fish. I have a 18-20" Dovii that's I believe is the reincarnation of Freddy Krueger, he's killed everything lol. I also have a glass banging 10" Aimara in a growout 75 gallon that I know I have to move to a bigger home sooner than later. I'm just at a crossroad on which one to pick to keep in the 300. I'm going to set up a poll below, first fish to get 60 votes is the one I'll keep.
[/QUOTEI
If the wolf is a glass banger, I’d keep that just for the cool factor alone. I know there’s smaller wolf fish, but they’re not an aimara. I think you could get a 6-10” cichlid , something like a hemichromis,to put in the 75 that would scratch the dovii itch.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
As the admin of Wolf Fish asylum on fb and having experience on the different species of wolves i will have to say u have to reevaluate what u want in a fish.. if its a 300g tank im assuming this is like ur centerpiece tank.. Aimaras are fun to feed(especially live) and are true preds.. the downside if im being honest is activity.. their activity level will remain the same until they get big.. and for a 300 Sometimes that makes u feel like its really a waste of space.. Dovii are more active and more colourful. the only reason for me not to keep them and any other big cichlid is they are pretty common.. it all comes down to really what u want.. others dont mind the inactivity of hoplias species. But some get tired of it long term.. i love wolves and i think some members here have seen me post wolves alot in the past.. but i dont get bored of them primarily bec. I only feed live things to them and its fascinating to me how they hunt down prey. Aimaras arent for everybody.. feeding frozen/pellet to an already inactive fish is gonna be boring in the long term. Thats why alot of all big tank owners dont even consider owning one.

Last edited:

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
As the admin of Wolf Fish asylum on fb and having experience on the different species of wolves i will have to say u have to reevaluate what u want in a fish.. if its a 300g tank im assuming this is like ur centerpiece tank.. Aimaras are fun to feed(especially live) and are true preds.. the downside if im being honest is activity.. their activity level will remain the same until they get big.. and for a 300 Sometimes that makes u feel like its really a waste of space.. Dovii are more active and more colourful. the only reason for me not to keep them and any other big cichlid is they are pretty common.. it all comes down to really what u want.. others dont mind the inactivity of hoplias species. But some get tired of it long term.. i love wolves and i think some members here have seen me post wolves alot in the past.. but i dont get bored of them primarily bec. I only feed live things to them and its fascinating to me how they hunt down prey. Aimaras arent for everybody.. feeding frozen/pellet to an already inactive fish is gonna be boring in the long term. Thats why alot of all big tank owners dont even consider owning one.

Very well said. You gave me a couple factors to consider, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store