Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's a monstrous fish!

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
good hell thats a monster! what do you keep with him as far as tankmates? seeing a ray or two in the pics, does he show any aggression towards other fish at that size?

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Indeed quite the monster... has occassizonal snaps at the tankmates including the BD ray. Currently housed with a Tigrinis, wild Oscar and red tail giant gourami. The fish all heal quite fast from tattered fins, tails or some flesh. The way gatf dashes to eat also has collateral damage as another fish may be in the way or close to the food. Overall, not a big trouble maker.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
very nice fish!! What a monster! Is he blind in one eye? i notice his eye always looks weird in the pix.
that is the most amazing gatf ive ever seen, but it is a sight to see in person.

Got some questions!

How did you go about breaking him at a large size?
Do you run a whole lot of current?
is he still as skiddish as they are at smaller sizes?
Mine at about a foot still crashes all around if i get to close.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks thanks heheh, yes this beast is blind in one eye which is shown from the pictures. My wave makers are on the particular side that makes them coast that direction. In the scope of breaking I presume from feeding live, it took two months of fasting before he took any prepared foods. I have 3 pumps going for my filter system which is about 10,000lph so the return on that with an additional two twin wave makers. I guess that's a decent amount of flow going in the tank. Mine still can freak out too if there is too much stimulus going on behind the glass ie kids playing around tapping glass. When small they are extra skittish although depends on personality of each fish. You got to be patient ;)

Reactions: sunnysjourney

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal
I didn't see you mention this but what size tank do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store