Deep forest green colors for aquarium backgrounds

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I would choose the second green color.

Have you thought about painting the back brown? I have a small tank with dark brown as the back color and I quite like it!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
What if you did a mix of the two? Have you seen sponge painted walls? Something like that. Lighter up top fading into darker. You could even fade it into black at the bottom. I’ve been tossing around the idea of trying it on a small tank before painting one of the bigger ones. I was thinking royal blue into black. But forest green into black could have a really cool look too I’d imagine.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
MrsE88,
Absoliutely! I asked about this a few weeks ago; somewhere online there's a pic of a huge discuss tank with an aqua to white fade background that makes it look like you're (observer) snorkelling in a pond - the tank's maybe 3' front to back, but the fade makes it look/feel like acreage.

I'm doing an in-wall now that'll be 3' tall but only 17" wide, so it needs that feeling of space/depth. I'm trying to find that image (and/or advice) as I don't remember if it faded top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top.

In my case colours/shades will (theoretically) be pigments within the sealing epoxy layering. It'll be a gentle or possible line-layered fade rather than a sponge/paint effect, though this does sound interesting...

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve never done line layered fading, just sponge. But I’m sure that would give the desired look.
I’ll have to put more thought into colors and whatnot. Once I get my tanks moved I want to paint the backs and be done with plastic backing.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I've not found the picture I was hoping for, but tank is to have a white substrate & Berger's water-tank epoxy sealant comes in bright-white (with pigment options), so plan is to do white bottom & fade towards pale green/aqua towards the top. Decor is to primarily be vertical (bamboo & lilies), so now debating lateral vs vertical brush stroke texturing...
I'd certainly prefer if it was a backing to the tank glass rather than the back wall of the tank... I'll be committed for at least 5 years :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store