dempseys

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I have a male and a female jack dempsey in a 55 gal with some other fish, do they need to be in a tank by themselves to breed, or will they just do it eventually?

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
There is an excellent chance that they will breed in there. However, they will make things uncomfortable for the rest of the residents once they do.

managuense-fury

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
El Paso
tothna said:
I have a male and a female jack dempsey in a 55 gal with some other fish, do they need to be in a tank by themselves to breed, or will they just do it eventually?
They can breed in your 55 but however once they spawn they will become very territorial and could kill or injure any fish they feel is a treat.

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I have a 5" convict (that will probably gobble up the babies) and a 3" powder blue cichlid that is aggressive as hell and a 4" green terror that is pretty mellow

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
some fish i have will never breed alone and some will never breed in the comunity. feed them some earthworms from the local bait shop and raise the temp a little and they should breed anywhere. pull the babies out or put in a divider if you are woried

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store