Dempseywith popeye!complete aquaria malfunction!!HELP!!! Please :(

dimmydoodle

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2012
canada
Hey there i recently discoveredthatmy prize JD has pop eye...badly he was in a community 100gal and recently quaranteened in a 50 gal.. Did 45 % water change in 50 gal added proper ph and melafix removed activated carbon from filter the water just keeps clouding !!! Should i go to my lfs and pick up some prime ? Its getting worse and worse ph isnt adjusting properly help !!! I also changed 65% of the 100gal replaced filter media and added bio chem zorb and a little melafix with the water change just to protect the other fish...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dimmydoodle

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2012
canada
he is now floating near the top of my 50 gallon... i think there is alot of ammonia in the water cause it seems like hes tryin to get oxygen what will neutralize the ammonium?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Sometimes people just don't see things. Also, If you read the stickies regarding posting issues in this section, you are missing a lot of info that is useful in the diagnosis of the problem.

First off, if you have a high ammonia content, you have a tank cycling issue considering to took out the filter media. Do some waterchanges to reduce this.

Is the tank aerated? If he is gasping at the surface, add and air stone for additional aeration.

EBJDguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
New Castle, DE
Oh boy i saw this once when i first started getting into fish. Popeye is as Pharaoh above me said that you must have a high ammonia content in your tank. All fish keepers should have basic water testing supplies. I only have two (ammonia, and pH tester), and out of those i only normally use one (the pH). When I got popeye on my JD (coincidentally the same fish), i did research and found out ammonia is the main culprit.

I immediately did a 50% water change and a 25% water change each day after this for the next 5 days and the condition disappeared. I almost lost him and that was a wake up call for me. Now i do 30% water changes on all 5 of my tanks twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays. The tester that i use is the pH tester because different fish like different pH levels, and my ammonia tester is just collecting dust because frequent water changes, proper amount of food given, and constant gravel, sand, vacuuming keeps my ammonia as well as my nitrites and nitrates at 0 ppm.

Also before i forget, if you have a heater in the tank, drop the temperature and allow the water to cool because the cooler the water, the less dangerous the ammonia is on the fish. As far as what chemicals you should get; I will tell you what i tell everyone. . . "Only get what you need to regulate pH and add beneficial bacteria, unless your fish are sick and need antibiotics or melafix, frequent water changes is all you really need. I rather do a water change, than add chemicals."

Your cloudiness is probably due also to the overwhelming of bad bacteria to good bacteria ratio, again as a result of too much ammonia. A week or two of daily water changes should make the cloudiness begin to dissipate. If you have any questions, feel free to inbox me.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Just do multiple water changes until the bacteria has a chance to re-establish itself.
If you are having this because of changing your filter media, then you may not have sufficient bio media in your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store