Derekp's Pond Build Thread...

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Any thoughts/comments/suggestions? Im about to add a little more mechanical filtration because the water isnt staying as clear as i would like. I clean my filters and it is sparkling for about a day and then becomes a little dirty again from all the fish stirring things up. I check my levels consistently and all of them are always good. I will show pictures once Im all done with the addition.
Please don't flame me for pointing this out, but the water will never be as sparkling as you want it to be, this is simply because the pond is planted and the fish will always stir things up, rooting around in the plants. Trust me on this you've got excellent water clarity for a planted pond, if everything reads fine then don't worry about it.

Forgive me for going a a bit peter waddy here but a koi pond doesn't have plants, a pond with plants is a pond with koi in it, if that makes sense.

If you want that extra sparkle the only thing you could add is filter floss which(apart from blanket weed) is the best and worse mechanical filter in the world. It takes everything out but at the same time can clog in no time resulting in a flood and empty pond. I've thought about it in the past and you could setup a baki shower type filter with and overflow with just floss in it. As you have no real issues I would just leave it as it is.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
The city has to approve it? I didnt have to ask anybody with mine. lol
yup have to get city's approval... been waiting for a while now getting annoyed :irked::angryfire

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Please don't flame me for pointing this out, but the water will never be as sparkling as you want it to be, this is simply because the pond is planted and the fish will always stir things up, rooting around in the plants. Trust me on this you've got excellent water clarity for a planted pond, if everything reads fine then don't worry about it.

Forgive me for going a a bit peter waddy here but a koi pond doesn't have plants, a pond with plants is a pond with koi in it, if that makes sense.

If you want that extra sparkle the only thing you could add is filter floss which(apart from blanket weed) is the best and worse mechanical filter in the world. It takes everything out but at the same time can clog in no time resulting in a flood and empty pond. I've thought about it in the past and you could setup a baki shower type filter with and overflow with just floss in it. As you have no real issues I would just leave it as it is.
Yeah I understand that, thank you I try to keep it clear. Im kind of a ocd when it comes to keeping my tanks and pond clean. Ive actually learned a few things about my filters. First, the sand filters actually clean better and keep it clearer when you dont clean them as often. The sand has had time to compact and creates a wall for the dirt only allowing clean water to pass through. Second, you can only run the sand filters at about 2000 gph or so each, the slower the water moves through, the better it cleans. You cant go to clow however because it is a fairly good size pond. Also, since I plumbed the skimmer in it has helped tremendously. It really helps to clean everything up top out of the water. Im still going to add a vortex filter and some matting with my last two drums I have, just for extra insurance, but the sand filters really are doing wonderfully. Thanks for your input though. :)

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
yup have to get city's approval... been waiting for a while now getting annoyed :irked::angryfire
Thats why I love not living in the city. :)

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Yeah I understand that, thank you I try to keep it clear. Im kind of a ocd when it comes to keeping my tanks and pond clean. Ive actually learned a few things about my filters. First, the sand filters actually clean better and keep it clearer when you dont clean them as often. The sand has had time to compact and creates a wall for the dirt only allowing clean water to pass through. Second, you can only run the sand filters at about 2000 gph or so each, the slower the water moves through, the better it cleans. You cant go to clow however because it is a fairly good size pond. Also, since I plumbed the skimmer in it has helped tremendously. It really helps to clean everything up top out of the water. Im still going to add a vortex filter and some matting with my last two drums I have, just for extra insurance, but the sand filters really are doing wonderfully. Thanks for your input though. :)
Couldn't agree more on leaving things to clog as they do tend to filter much better. It's a double edge sword for me as my nexus will quite literally over flow if left to long. Having said that there are negatives to sand filters as well as they can breed all sorts of nasties in there.

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Couldn't agree more on leaving things to clog as they do tend to filter much better. It's a double edge sword for me as my nexus will quite literally over flow if left to long. Having said that there are negatives to sand filters as well as they can breed all sorts of nasties in there.
Yeah the sand filters wont overflow unless I cover the overflow drain with something. I did clean them out yesterday pretty good as they were filthy inside. Even after cleaning them the water looked beautiful this morning. I think they have just become established and are now doing their job. I would love to have a nexus, but...i cant afford it right now. lol

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Yeah the sand filters wont overflow unless I cover the overflow drain with something. I did clean them out yesterday pretty good as they were filthy inside. Even after cleaning them the water looked beautiful this morning. I think they have just become established and are now doing their job. I would love to have a nexus, but...i cant afford it right now. lol
Mine was second hand and cheaper than you think...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
moar pics! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store