"Designer" Cichlids

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Anyone noticed that the source (seller) of a cichlid seems to get as much publicity as the fish itself lately? It's as if there's some sort of additional value to the fish based on its seller. That's strange to me considering that many of the sellers are getting fish from the very same suppliers. Even the imported fish are often coming from the exact same exporter before being resold, under a "designer" label, in the US.

Personally, I couldn't care less from whom I purchase a fish. Well, that's not entirely true. As long as I know the seller is honest and sells healthy fish that's enough for me........ Thinking about it, I buy from about four sources, so maybe it does matter! Hahahaha! :naughty:

Let's start bragging about a fully grown, ass-kicking show fish rather than some juvie runt with a logo? I understand it's tough to get some species from time to time, and certain sellers are the only source, but that's no cause to act like the seller INVENTED the fish!

Heck, some of the best looking fish come straight from Florida fish farms that've been breeding them for years and years. The creamsickle midas is a perfect example. Once they fix a solid type, why should I ask for more?

This thread is intended to be a discussion without mentioning anyone's real name. Keep personal information out of this thread.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
I think it is more about who you got it from because then you know it's a healthy fish. When people drop the name it's to prove the fish is from a good source and healthy. When you say where you got your fish from your helping out the seller that helped you.

I don't think a fish should be more money or seen as better if from one person over another. It's more to as a way let people they are from a good source. Also a way to help out the seller.

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
Chris, this isn't just something that has been happening "lately". I couldn't even count how many threads and youtube videos I have seen sporting the sellers name along with the name of the fish. For example:

And that's not even counting the ones with titles like "female columbian umbee from *****".

Imo it's not all that bad of a thing. And it is sorta like buying a designer label (I've been saying the same thing for the longest). If a seller is supplying top notch quality fish, then I don't really see a problem with their happy customers advertising their names. If a seller get's to this point, it just means they're doing something right.

baldtaxguy

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2006
Never thought of it as a designer label, just simply as origin, history of the fish.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
I agree but I don't think it is just "lately" though.
IMO, adding the suppliers name to the title is in the not needed basket. Right there with F0,F1, wild caught, etc. I don't understand why people can't just post the fish and let it speak for itself. If people are impressed/interested, they will ask for the source anyway. If so, by all means provide details but when just showing a fish on a fish forum or youtube, all the add on descriptions are totally pointless except when maybe selling on the fish.
I for one take no notice of any of these descriptions except for maybe a locale description. I feel at the end of the day, it is the individual specimen that matters, just like the sweet creamsickle you have posted.;)

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
I think the poster wants you to know their source of the fish so you won't think it's low quality or hybridized. If I said, "Hey, I got this new Trimac from Petco", you might get a stereotypical idea about the fish. Now if I say, "Hey I got this Labiatus from *******!", suddenly most people think it's a true and high quality specimen. Do you agree?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
balton777;4060487;4060487 said:
I think the poster wants you to know their source of the fish so you won't think it's low quality or hybridized. If I said, "Hey, I got this new Trimac from Petco", you might get a stereotypical idea about the fish. Now if I say, "Hey I got this Labiatus from *****!", suddenly most people think it's a true and high quality specimen. Do you agree?
^ this.

all fishkeepers on this site are snobs to some extent, and will dismiss anything they think is of less quality

fishluvr12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
TN
This is one I totally agree with.I have talked with more than one lfs owner that has told Me that these are the only discus they have purchased that are consistetly heathly and always eat well.All these owners (3 to be exact) have been in business for more than 30 yrs and knew I was not in the market for discus.

I buy from some of the big name vendors, not because they have designer or super fish, but to get the fish I want and to know that I am getting what is advertised. ie: lfs don't carry the fish I keep or when You order fish like festae you get uros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store