"Designer" Cichlids

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Seeing fish like wild jds on a list for not much money... Is going to lead to some questions... Questions that could and should have been answered easily if someone is actually collecting them. But they weren't... Which led me at least look at and question other things on the list... Which led to more defensiveness and evasiveness... And the cycle continues...

You assume that people who ask questions will never be customers... Which isn't correct

Maybe I have higher expectations than other people, but being told that simple questions are unreasonable isn't going to change my mind.

JTRG05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Northwest Ohio
The popular thing to do now is wild caught fish, and it's only human nature to want things and brag about things that are rare and expensive. Personally, I have no interest in wild caught fish with the exception of native species. I, and most of the hobbyists in aquariums would rather just buy the 5 dollar RD/MIDAS hybrid from PetCo, than get the 100% pure wild caught Red Devil for 10x the price. The fish I've cared for over the years have bought me, and my friends happiness, and they were bred in a fish farm somewhere and shipped to an LFS near me. It's all personal preference, and how much you want to be able to brag, which isn't inherently a negative thing. You have something you are proud of, show it off. As to keepers not caring about collection points, they should care if they are ordering and paying top dollar for a fish, but that is up to the individual, and if that vendor does not cater to your individual needs then find a new vendor.

As far as the concerns of vendors and their collection points, I understand. Rapps, ** and others have proven themselves over a long period of time, and have interacted with the MFK community well. Other, and newer vendors do not have the credibility yet, and if they do in time prove to not be a credible source than so be it; you had the opportunity to buy the 5 dollar RD/Midas from the LFS, or form the already proven vendor. It is the risk that you take with any vendor anyway, even the credible make mistakes sometimes. I also understand why some are leery of some vendors coming up in popularity, and yes I have also seen the threads where they seem evasive. I am completely neutral on the matter and will agree that at times they seem more defensive than they should. That doesn't however mean they are doing something purposefully or otherwise dishonest.

And this thread is also moving away from being civil, we should calm down before a mod is required to step in...

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
buddha1200;4066752; said:
i agree,but on the other hand if you never have an intent to become a customer and just want to start alot of nonsense because you feel as though everyone needs to answer your question(because you feel you know everything)than it is useless to answer you. Every question that was asked has been answered one way or another,but the same questions still keep getting asked over and over. Why? These threads don't solve anything and they all end up going back to the same ole thing over and over again. Aren't we all tired of this by now. We are all in this for the love of the fish(at least i am)i have been keeping fish on and off for ten years now and just in the last couple of years decided to get alittle deeper into it,but you guys act like if you only joined a forum recently you are a newb, I for one enjoy evryones fish when posted and have never dissed anyones fish or tried to make them feel inferior because they got the fish from the lfs or auction ,certain vendors etc.If you feel as though you need to know where every fish came from(includeing the ones you haven't purchased or never will)then i think you should only catch your own,then you know the answers to your question. On the other hand i will keep purchasing fish from those i trust because in the long run i get a beautiful fish that i have enjoyed over the years with out having to get my feet wet.(except the ocassional splashing during feeding) Please everyone look past the nonsense and get back to enjoying fish keeping. Have a beautiful day everyone.
I was going to post on this thread but you summed up everything I was going to say. I order from certain people because I feel like I can trust them. Plus I think LFS suck for the most part not thats its really their fault, they only order what people want. If they are selling something like 10 convicts to every 1 Bocourti of course they will purchase Convicts and of course I'm not going to shop there. I think anyone that orders on line is really shopping for "Designer Cichlids" to a degree but at the same time LFS's simply don't carry the Cichlids most of us want. As far as Wilds, F0's, F1's are concerned, It goes back to trust and thats why I order from certain vendors.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
...and the beat goes on. If a thread bothers you, you're free to ignore it. Better yet, start your own.

Back on topic, I'll buy any interesting cichlid from any buyer who can prove the veracity of his claims and (in the case of an unfamiliar seller) has the common decency to answer a simple question or two. However, I won't pay a premium just because the seller is a "name." I would certainly pay a premium, though, for a hard to obtain fish........ Therein lies the conundrum. The "name" sellers often have the hard to obtain fish!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
cchhcc;4066815; said:
...and the beat goes on. If a thread bothers you, you're free to ignore it. Better yet, start your own.

Back on topic, I'll buy any interesting cichlid from any buyer who can prove the veracity of his claims and (in the case of an unfamiliar seller) has the common decency to answer a simple question or two. However, I won't pay a premium just because the seller is a "name." I would certainly pay a premium, though, for a hard to obtain fish........ Therein lies the conundrum. The "name" sellers often have the hard to obtain fish!
...and only some name vendors are willing and able to demonstrate the source of hard to find fish...

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store