Determining sex of arowana when 9 inches

Pramod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Hi..
I want to know whether we can determine sex of arowana when its small..
Also if u can determine then pls let know my arowana's sex..

IMG_20170930_230333.jpg

IMG_20170930_231224.jpg

IMG_20170930_230308.jpg

Reactions: dr exum

cbr_fan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Malaysia
I have written a book on how to determine the sex of an Asian Arowana, regardless whether it is a fry or an adult, based on my experience of owning more than 50 arowanas over more than 20 years. It is available for sale in Amazon. The sex of this fish is actually written on its face, even when it is a fry. It's very easy to tell. My book will tell you how :

• Haha
Reactions: Dloks

cbr_fan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Malaysia
1st pic : the rear end is wide and fat. the head is narrow and sharp. Its a female.
2nd pic : Near to camera : female(smaller head relative to fat body). Further away : male.(larger, wider head with slim body)
3rd pic : Male (larger, wider head with slim body.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Ok, Thx to you my 2 Arowana are currently going through a gender identification crisis -- or rather I am (most assuredly they already know:)).

But kudos on taking the time to write and publish a book regarding one of the more mysterious aspects of Asian Arowana keeping.

Actually I'm not at all interested in breeding my Aros even if they were opposite sex, it's more just curiosity/personal convenience. But I checked out your book on Amazon (though I don't use Amazon so I'm sorry I can't buy it), and could see your main points and quite interesting info by clicking on the photos.

But getting back to my first point, if I correctly understand your criteria, it's possible that I've mis-guessed the gender of one or maybe both of my Aros (both from Malaysian farms): a GHXB that I guessed/kinda felt was male, and a BBXB that I have been guessing is a female. I've had them since last Dec & Jan, when they both were about 10-10.5".

Of course I'm fully open to the possibility I've been wrong with 1 or both, so would appreciate your opinion on their gender. Here are some pix of them taken with the last few hours:

Reactions: tlindsey and Dloks

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
1st pic : the rear end is wide and fat. the head is narrow and sharp. Its a female.
2nd pic : Near to camera : female(smaller head relative to fat body). Further away : male.(larger, wider head with slim body)
Hi C cbr_fan , I forgot to tag you in my previous -- was really curious what you think the gender of the 2 Xbacks pictured above are?

Charles E Washington

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
Im so interested in your Book im looking it up now to find out more about the condition of the water and certain parasite...If it just consists of sexes that is okay i need the INFO......Do you raise fish to sell or just write about them?

Reactions: tlindsey

Charles E Washington

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
There is a Book on Amazon that seams similuar to the one you have publish im going to try to purchase it regarding sexing the Arowanna...

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hmmm, still no reply to my sexing query -- I dunno, maybe he's busy writing another book. But frankly I'm starting to wonder if perhaps it's not always so cut and dried after all...that's cool, my Aros certainly don't GAF what I'm calling them.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wait a sec, I just noticed something -- you said above:
1st pic: female
3rd pic: male

Aren't those the same fish? P Pramod I guess you're long gone but how many Arowana did you have in that tank? If it's only 2, I'm not buying that book...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dloks

cbr_fan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Malaysia
Wait a sec, I just noticed something -- you said above:
1st pic: female
3rd pic: male

Aren't those the same fish? P Pramod I guess you're long gone but how many Arowana did you have in that tank? If it's only 2, I'm not buying that book...
1st fish has the lower jaw jutting out. that one looks female
3rd fish does not have lower jaw jutting out. It looks male. It is not the same fish. Look carefully and you will notice, bro..
another thing, look again. 1st fish has intact tail. 3rd fish has a broken tail, probably due to fighting. So its not the same fish. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store