Determining the sex of a black ghost knife...

Munroser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Hey, dragonfish...does Greeaveli happen to be a GK? I haven't encountered any GK's as old as ours and I think we could use some encouragement if anyone has had one. Sorry in advance if I am on the wrong track.

cmartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Canada
Here is a picture of a 'breeding pair'.....

It is pretty easy to tell the difference this way.

Larger one is the male - about 12 inches.

breeding pair.jpg

Munroser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
cmartin;1750416; said:
Here is a picture of a 'breeding pair'.....

It is pretty easy to tell the difference this way.

Larger one is the male - about 12 inches.

So, looking at these two, the male does not appear to have a stripe but it may be the angle that the picture was taken. What does seem apparent to me is that the tail of the female has more white on it...similar to mine who is out "lolly gaggling" in the bubbles of her filter system right now.

I think like dogs, the females no matter what breed, still have girly ways about them no matter how hardy they are.

NorthernDancer64

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
I've read that the difference is the face shape. I've collected pictures from the internet that seem to conferm that there is a difference. (note that some of these pictures are copywrited and are only for personal use)
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc50/NorthernDancer64/Black%20Ghost%20Knife/
Female: face is short and has a flat nose/mouth area. body is bigger (height wise) and rounder, more noticable in older/larger fish.
Male: face is angular, has a slope from the back down to the mouth, also has an underbite. body stays thin (height wise) even when bigger.

Now it is possible that these two differances are different strains of BGK's, but I don't think so.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Reactions: 702Reef

dmed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, US
There are many stories online about how to sex BGK.

When scientists want to do it, they do surgery.

flx2u

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2010
Portugal Cacem
hello... my name is Paulo Alves and i am also trying to breed BGK... for what i have seen is very dificult beacause of theyr diferences in male or female... still i''ll keap on trying...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store