Did I get the wrong footprint tank?

geo_lover88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2022
Hey there!

My first foray into larger fish, and now I'm worried I did it wrong XD

I wanted to do a S. American cichlid tank. Found a used 120g. I'd originally wanted the 125g for the 6' footprint, but a local breeder said he always found the width helpful with larger fish, so since the 120, stand, canopy, light, 2 SunSun 304B filters, and heater were a package steal at $350 (not from said breeder), I went for it.

Stocking:
1 Red Spotted Severum
2 Geo Tapajos
2 Geo Sveni
3 Electric Blue Acaras (got at a swap)
4 Yoyo loaches
6 Red and Blue Columbian Tetras as dithers
2 Super Red Bristlenose

Possibly 2 polar blue parrot cichlids... haven't really decided where they're going once they grow out.

Do you think I'm all right on the 4' footprint, or am I totally screwed? All fish are juvies right now, with the severum the biggest at about 2.5", so I have time to fix it if needed. TIA!

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
don't add the hybrids.

I'd drop the EBA's and select one of the geo types and get a few more, the red head tapajos stay smaller id keep those.

geo_lover88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2022
I got the last two tapajos, and of course now they're back in stock.

Drop the EBAs due to potential overstocking, or temperament concerns? I've seen a lot of severum/tapajo/EBA communities on YouTube, so just curious on reasoning.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
tank isn't all that big and geos will claim the bottom and the severum the upper portion. i dont see you have enough territory for all of them.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would say mostly about overstocking, but in addition a smaller footprint can exacerbate temperament issues which otherwise could be tolerable. You will be better off with the lighter stocking.
A 4 foot 120g is a very nice tank and the deal you got on the whole set was great!
The fish you plan sound like a very nice community, but I would definitely drop the polar blue parrot cichlids and the EBA's. Perhaps in the future you can get a longer tank. Good luck!

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

geo_lover88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2022
Do you think the EBAs would do all right with a pair of angels in a 40? Might have to pick one over the other if not (not a problem--the Acaras are likely to win hands down because I love their personality).

Should probably note the 40 is heavily planted.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If they are all young, the group will work a while.
But when they all start to hit maturity, that's when it will get problematic.
You've got mostly bottom dwellers that are all going to want to claim a piece of real estate.
Geo's, loaches, pleco's and the acaras (even the BPs) are all going to be vying for turf near the substrate, and getting in each others way.

If it were me I'd choose 1 species of Geophagus, and get a shoal of 6, I'd drop the loaches (not geographically correct with S Americans, and using substrate space) I'd drop the Acara's (and I like to keep acara's, so dropping them from the list is not simple a me like/me no like opinion), and not even consider the BPS.
The Geophagus enjoy a lot of current (water movement), the severums not so much, so beyond normal filtratration, I'd add a power head/wave maker, that will be focused on about half the tank for Geo's, but leave the other half tank a more placid environment for the severums.
The tetras will provide interest in the mid and upper portions of the tank and will appreciate different flow zones.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey there!

My first foray into larger fish, and now I'm worried I did it wrong XD

I wanted to do a S. American cichlid tank. Found a used 120g. I'd originally wanted the 125g for the 6' footprint, but a local breeder said he always found the width helpful with larger fish, so since the 120, stand, canopy, light, 2 SunSun 304B filters, and heater were a package steal at $350 (not from said breeder), I went for it.

Stocking:
1 Red Spotted Severum
2 Geo Tapajos
2 Geo Sveni
3 Electric Blue Acaras (got at a swap)
4 Yoyo loaches
6 Red and Blue Columbian Tetras as dithers
2 Super Red Bristlenose

Possibly 2 polar blue parrot cichlids... haven't really decided where they're going once they grow out.

Do you think I'm all right on the 4' footprint, or am I totally screwed? All fish are juvies right now, with the severum the biggest at about 2.5", so I have time to fix it if needed. TIA!
Welcome aboard

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One other thing you may want to consider are your tap water parameters.
Do you have soft low pH water? or...
High pH, mineral rich/hard water?
This could determine the long term success or not, of the Geophagine species you keep.
These parameters may also determine water schedule and how many water changes that need to be done to keep the Geo's healthy.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
As far as the loaches go, may not be geographically correct but I've kept yoyos or striatas for years in several different tanks and they don't care about real esate much. As long as they get a tube or hidey spot in a piece of decor, they've never messed with other fish IME

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store