Dieing fish

ajh1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2022
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Just about everytime I do a water change a fish dies 4-5days after. What could be the issue? I have a freshwater 55gallon tank with a canister filter that does 265gph. 2) 2 inch plecos, 5) glotetras, 6) kuli loach and now down to 1) angel. I did have 5) Angels. They are the ones that keep dieing. Test strip always read right where they need to be.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Do you use a dechlorinator on the new water change water?
Are water parameters very different" on the test strips " after" a water change than the tanks water "before"?
What are the parameters of your tap water, water parameters of tank water before a water change?
Parameters like pH, nitrate, hardness etc?

How often do you do water changes, and what amounts?
One 50% change per week.?
One 75% water change every 2 weeks?
One large water change per month?

Reactions: tlindsey

ajh1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2022
Do you use a dechlorinator on the new water change water?
Are water parameters very different" on the test strips " after" a water change than the tanks water "before"?
What are the parameters of your tap water, water parameters of tank water before a water change?
Parameters like pH, nitrate, hardness etc?

How often do you do water changes, and what amounts?
One 50% change per week.?
One 75% water change every 2 weeks?
One large water change per month?
1) Dechlorinator is always used, but I usually just put the garden hose in the tank and then treat the whole tank.
2) parameters before and after always seem to fall within recommended fish health guidlines. Idk if my test strips are legitimate or not. I use JNW 9 in 1 test strips.
3) I do a water change ever 3 weeks. By then %25 has evaporated and I take out %25 and add 50% back.

Tyler Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2023
That's a lot of water evaporating. I have a 55 gal with a really hot light (it keeps the water warm enough for the fish) and in 3 weeks it would evaporate around 10% and that's on the high side. Do you use a light and if so, what wattage (I think mine is like 75 watt).

ajh1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2022
That's a lot of water evaporating. I have a 55 gal with a really hot light (it keeps the water warm enough for the fish) and in 3 weeks it would evaporate around 10% and that's on the high side. Do you use a light and if so, what wattage (I think mine is like 75 watt).
It could be more around 16. 5% evaporation so I'd be doing 1/3rd tank water changes, unless the previous owner didn't tell me the correct gallon size on the tank. I have a 40 watt light and a water heater in there. It also catches sin rays from the window it's against.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store