Difference between Monster Fish Keepers and Aquaria Central?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If I join, what should I expect?
What do you mean what should you expect? It's a fish forum but mostly geared to smaller fish and plants. The members there are friendly and some are also on MFK.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would say AC's reputation is quite good, honest answers, helpful members. Some people coming from other forums, a fair amount of people new to the hobby and looking for advice, members with experience and those without, some young ones that know everything or think they do, the same standards as MFK regarding posting nonsense.

I think it is geared more towards the average hobbyist but still offers great information. You don't have to join if you don't want to but it's always nice to be a member of another forum to get a perspective on what hobbyists are keeping.

You can even have the same user name on AC that you have on MFK if you want.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I am a member of fishforums.net, plantedtank, and fishlore. I think fishlore is an absolute joke though. Fishforums I guess don't like young members like me trying to get a new perspective. plantedtank is very helpful.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The difference is minimal. MFK used to be a site of "big fish, big tanks whose owners spared no expense..." But things have changed, and those words have been removed from MFK's welcome page. Most of the members on MFK now define "monster" as having passion about fish keeping. With that definition of "monster", Since members of both groups both have small fish/small tanks in general, the difference is that MFK members have more passion than AC members

I joined MFK in 2006 because I had questions about filtration for a 300 gallon tank. In 2006, big tanks were the norm on MFK. It was the only forum that had discussions on set up and filtration for larger tanks. I probably don't meet the requirements for being an MFK member anymore, because I don't have enough passion about fish keeping. I have, however, graduated to bigger tanks and have a 405 gallon tank to use for redundant sump filtration.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
What’s common between AC and MFK is that I believe both sites are operated by the same owner.

I joined AC before MEK. I haven’t visited AC for a long time since MEK is more active, and covers as much monster size fish as average size cichlid I keep. There isn’t as much discussion of small community fish such as tetra, livebearers and cory which are covered mostly by specialty or planted tank forums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store