Different shaped Cichlids for my 90G peacock tank?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Buffalo head and albino Dimidiochromis pictured below are also much different than peacocks.

1EA799B8-AE6C-4D7C-BC12-713C05B9668C.jpeg

B6BE8808-40FC-4BC1-B263-424704198F93.jpeg

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would skip any fish that is greater than six inches at maturity for a 90G. That includes the OP's list and Morning's list including moorii and Pheno mdoka. Agree to avoid the Victorians...they have similar shapes in any case but not the right temperament for haps and peacocks.

The lethrinops have a little different body shape but they are timid and better in a species tank. I got nothing.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Here are some bad photos. I can try to get better photos if needed, but my camera is pretty bad.

Fish #1 is no longer in the tank, but I would like to know what he is. He didn't grow as quickly, and he behaved differently so I assumed he was something else. Currently in his own tank.

#2 rules the tank, but has also been in there the longest tied with #7.

#7 I did figure this guy was something else. He grew faster than the rest, but has not caused any problems.

#8 and #5 I was told were "Strawberry peacocks" #8 has much larger eyes though?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Some look like hybrids, it's very common with haps and peacocks these days. Been 20 years since I kept Malawis, so I remember some Aulonocara (peacock) species and populations, others not so much, so I'll take a couple of easy ones. # 4 is a sunshine peacock, more than one species/population goes by the name, they're very similar, individual specimens vary, and they're often mixed, so I won't guess which one. Imo #2 looks likely a hybrid with Sciaenochromis fryeri (electric blue hap-- technically not a peacock, but a lot of people don't know the difference and there's a lot of hybrids out there-- used to be S. ahli, but was reclassified and ahli is now a similar but different fish, less colorful). Mine typically dominated the peacocks, so that's not a surprise. #3 could be the same imo, either not as dominant and colorful, mixed with a different peacock, or same mix but hybrid offspring from the same parents often vary in appearance between both species. If I had to guess, my guess is there's some Aulonocara maulana (bi-color 500) in the mix. 5 looks like a strawberry peacock or one of its iterations, a man made fish through crossing, line breeding, etc. They vary between breeding lines and breeders give them other fanciful names depending on color, etc.

I should know what 7 is, used to have them, can't think of the name at the moment (assuming it's not a hybrid, though it could be), not a peacock, a type of mbuna. 8 looks hybrid to me or possibly something line bred.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
7 is not even a peacock, it's an mbuna. Albino M. greshakei, to be exact. Probably going to be more aggressive as it matures than your peacocks will want to deal with.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, it's not a good idea to buy the "Assorted Cichlid" package deal.
You might get lucky accidently getting a valuable species amongst the mix, but more likely to get commons & mutts.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Synodontis or mbuna. Stack a bunch of rocks on one side of the tank.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
Some haps that stay small, but have a different shape than the peacocks (and are also stunning in their own right):

Copadichromis Azureus 6-7"
Ivory head Mloto - Copadichromis Trewavasae 5-6"
Z-Rock Sulphur Head - Otopharynx Lithobates 5-6"
Placidochromis Jalo Reef 6-7" (these are really lovely)
Placidochromis Electra 6"
Red Empress - Protomelas Taeniolatus - 6"
Electric Blue Hap - Scieanochromis Fryeri - 6-8"
Any of the Lethrinops

I have most of these in my 150. They are gorgeous, and mostly fairly mellow.
I don't have the electric blue hap - I've heard it's a little more aggressive. The Red Empress is stunning and may be more aggressive. The Placidochromis are placid. The z-rock is peaceful. The Copadichromis are middle of the road.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Some haps that stay small, but have a different shape than the peacocks (and are also stunning in their own right):

Copadichromis Azureus 6-7"
Ivory head Mloto - Copadichromis Trewavasae 5-6"
Z-Rock Sulphur Head - Otopharynx Lithobates 5-6"
Placidochromis Jalo Reef 6-7" (these are really lovely)
Placidochromis Electra 6"
Red Empress - Protomelas Taeniolatus - 6"
Electric Blue Hap - Scieanochromis Fryeri - 6-8"
Any of the Lethrinops

I have most of these in my 150. They are gorgeous, and mostly fairly mellow.
I don't have the electric blue hap - I've heard it's a little more aggressive. The Red Empress is stunning and may be more aggressive. The Placidochromis are placid. The z-rock is peaceful. The Copadichromis are middle of the road.

That Ivory head Mloto is definetly one I will look out for that is an interesting fish! The red empress looks stunning, I think fish #3 in that link I posted is one just not in full color yet.

IMO, it's not a good idea to buy the "Assorted Cichlid" package deal.
You might get lucky accidently getting a valuable species amongst the mix, but more likely to get commons & mutts.
I am satisfied with how they look, and I don't plan on breeding them. I also have a small fortune in store credit from the fish I do breed, so ordering a full stock online doesn't make much sense for me.

After some thinking I am just going to keep what I have currently, and look at upgrading to a 125 gallon then maybe get one of these long bodied haps.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
If you want to add African cichlids into an already established community, I'd recommend adding what I call "undisturbing" species that are more peaceful and less likely to do damage to the existent hierarchy. Some examples include peacock cichlids, red zebras, yellow labs (the latter 2 are for Mbuna tanks). On the other hand, I'd avoid "disturbing" species that are aggressive and will likely destroy the existent hierarchy. Examples include johannis and lone demasonis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store