Different size fish community tank

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
I'm planning on converting my 8 feet tank into a large planted tank. I'm planning on stocking the tank with neon tetras, danios, rainbow fish, lamp eyes and more. I would like to have a larger fish to promote schooling behavior. So any recommendations are appreciated!!!

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Neons with larger fish? Not a good mix imo.
Larger fish for a planted tank could be bichirs but they are preadatory. You could consider a planted bichir tank as a not so common stock.
As for common sticking you may consider rams, discus, angels, acara as an option . But I would skip neons if you want a larger fish.

Last edited:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Loaches, perhaps? Any of the species in my signature would be great for your tank, they're active, peaceful, and schooling.

I would avoid bichirs or cichlids if you're doing loaches, though. With all bichirs and many, many cichlids, chances are the loaches would get bullied and/or eaten, and that also goes for your small schooling fish.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Gourami would work. Larger and would promote the schooling behavior.
If you stick with larger tetras, you could get an EBA or sev.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Schooling behavior in many shoaling fish, including many tetra species, usually has more to do with numbers in the group than what else is in the tank. If a group's too small, even schooling tetras may fuss with each other as much as they school together. There's also a difference between relaxed shoaling behavior and nervously huddling together in the presence of a potential predator.

In an 8 ft tank there are some interesting, less common to rare, and more challenging shoaling fish you could keep if you wanted to-- including larger characins such as red/pink or yellow finned Chalceus, some nice looking Metynnis, and some of the spotted Leporinus species. Also, not to mention cichlid species many people keep in groups (like discus, geos, angels), some would be surprised at some of the cichlids that associate in shoals of various sizes in the wild (especially as juveniles and/or when they're not protecting a nest or fry), because they've never kept them in numbers or in large enough tanks to see it.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Chalceus won't go well with neons, but are very nice. The Leporinus are nice for a nice tank, but not planted with most plants, and are too boisterous for most small fish (and capable of inhaling them). The Metynnis would be nice, and not impossible to keep in a planted tank, but it is not for most people as it will be a challenge in itself.
I would say a group of Hemiodus would be awesome! - some species grow large, are very active and assertive, swim a lot (8 feet would be great for a group of 4-6 of them!) and are super gentle, your tiniest fry of any species would be safe, as well as your plants.
Below, Hemiodus cf unimaculatus; these guys are about 7-7.5". The red tail Hemiodus, H. gracilis stays smaller (4-5"), are are easier to find.
Good luck.

1633206878966.jpeg

1633206920392.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store